Chapter 2: Change

He never did tell you his name. That blonde-haired, amber-eyed boy, with three freckles on his ear. The devil's marking. He really did have the devil's own luck, much unlike you. Six years had passed without you so much as knowing his name. He knew yours, though.

He disappeared five months ago, without warning.

No... scratch that, he did warn you. He warned you that he was going to do something dangerous, and to not worry; he'd be okay. But... you were starting to lose hope. And not only for him.

For yourself, too.
You'd been in an alleyway outside of Pig's bar, wasting away for the past week. He'd fired you around the time the amber-eyed boy--a man now--left. And... your money had run out last week, leaving you to break down in a ditch and not be able to get back up again. You wrapped your arms around yourself, trying to hold back tears.

Can I even stand? I haven't in a week... I feel disgusting.

A figure blocked the shadow of the entrance to your newfound "home."
Jack the Ripper?
No... right? he wouldn't think to..., right?

The figure--tall and broad-shouldered--approached you, crouching in front of you. The light of an oil lamp above you lit up his face, but just barely. His nose wrinkled a little bit, probably at your stench. His features were difficult to make out, though he was gorgeous despite the low light, and he took your arm in his hand. Tightly. To the point where it hurt.

"Hello, darling. I'm sorry I have-"

He cut himself off abruptly. His eyes widened, and his body seemed to freeze.

"Wait... Y/N?"

You were about to respond, but the stranger pulled you up into a standing position.

The blood rushed to your head, and you fainted.

When you woke, you were laying in an unfamiliar bed, completely empty. Save for you, of course. It smelled faintly of roses, and it took you a moment to sit up and stand without fainting.

Your door opened, just as you had to sit down.

It... it was him. Him. Your eyes widened.

"You... what happened? Where am I?"
"You're safe, Y/N."

A little bit of anger flared up in your gut at how he was obviously avoiding answering you.
"Where am I?" You repeated, your voice more firm. He gave off a little laugh, the rich sound of it—like always—sending butterflies to your stomach.

"A coal mining town, north of where we grew up."

Your eyes wandered up to the room. The... the room. It was huge. Bigger than Pig's entire tavern. The decorations in it alone could probably set you up for life.
How did he...
Is he some rich boy or something, and I never found out?
...
That warning he gave me... he seems to be okay, now, but...

"What... what did you do?"
He knew what you meant, and loosed a sigh, finally stepping out of the doorway and sitting down on the bed, gesturing for you to do the same. You did, fighting the urge to lean into his side at the promise of him speaking. His voice—smooth and deep—had a way of instantly putting you to sleep.
"Hmm... let's just say that I may or may not have burned down the Joestar mantion."

'You-"
You stuttered over your words, trying to form a coherent sentence as well as wrap your mind around what he'd just said. He joked quite a bit, yes, but he wouldn't lie about committing arson on a wealthy family's estate.
"You. Burned down. The Joestar mansion."

He hummed, confirming it once again.

"You couldn't have tried to, I don't know, do that on someone with a lower social standing? Listen, I would not have complained if you burned down the tavern..."

You trailed off as his bright amber eyes looked down at you, glimmering with happiness.
"Fine, fine. You had your reasons."

"..."

"Do I get to know those reasons?"

He thought for a moment, tilting his head a bit.
"Hmm. How about, my name is Dio Brando, and I was adopted by George Joestar when I was twelve. His only son—Jonathan Joestar—" He said the name with a sort of respect and repulsion on his tongue "Is older than me by a few months, give or take. So I wanted to do everything to inherit the Joestar fortune. Hence the arson."

Your eyes bugged out, your jaw hanging open as you tried to, once again, process entirely new information.

He gave off a chuckle, moving a hand up to push your mouth closed. He went to speak, but you interrupted him before he could do so.
"Your name is Dio?"
There was a sort of awe in the tone of your voice. After all these years of wondering and begging for him to tell you his name, he finally did.

Short, just three letters. Two syllables. But... it fit him perfectly.
"Yes, Y/N. Yes it is."