Chapter Fourteen

It had been almost two months since my dad had died and I'd got back to America, Spencer and I had spent almost every night together. I could feel myself catching feelings for him, no matter how much I told myself it is 'just sex' between us, nothing more. As much as I hated to admit it, he was right, a relationship wouldn't work and I was happy with the time I got to spend with him the way things were anyway. I groaned at the sound of Spencer's alarm waking me up, mumbling for him to turn it off in a not so polite way. 

"Any need for such vulgar language this early in the morning?" Spencer asked, climbing out of the bed next to me. I just grumbled another string of obscenities at him, pulling the duvet above my head as he turned the light on. "You have such a foul mouth," he chuckled. 

"5 more minutes," I pleaded, dozing back off to sleep.

"You say that every morning and then complain when you're rushing around because you overslept." I couldn't even argue with him because it was true. 

"Okay, okay fine! I'm up!" I grumbled , heading straight to the kitchen to pour myself a huge cup of coffee, gulping it down quickly. Spencer walked in wearing only his boxers, a shirt and his glasses and made himself a coffee before turning and looking at me uncomfortably. "What?" I asked, not liking his edginess. 

"I don't think we should sleep over at each other's places anymore," he explained, avoiding eye contact with me. 

"Uh, why?" I replied, trying to hide the devastation in my voice. 

"Well, this is just sex right?"

"Yeah..." I started anxiously chewing on the inside of my cheek.

"If this is going to work we need to make sure we don't complicate things." He finally looked me in the eye, though I couldn't read his face at all. 

"Are you serious?" He just nodded in response. "But, you're my best friend, we'd be having sleepovers with each other all time even if we weren't having sex." 

"I don't want to blur the lines, we need to keep things nice and clear between us." He started twitching his thumbs nervously again, I was so close to slapping him across the face.

"Maybe you should have thought about that before you came to fucking England with me!" I spat. 

"You're mad at me? I though this was what you wanted! I'm just trying to make this easier for us!" He exclaimed. His voice started getting higher pitched as he tried to stop himself shouting while he waved his hands frantically I exasperation. 

"It is." I willed my face into a cold, emotionless stare as I forced myself to turn off my emotions. If this is how he wanted to be, I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of knowing I was upset. "You're right, glad we could clear things up, Spencer." I turned on my heel, placing my mug on the side before stalking off back to the bedroom. 

"Maddie..." He called after me but I just ignored him. 

Neither of us said a word to each other all morning, it was the most uncomfortable car journey of my life. Spencer kept glancing sideways at me, opening his mouth as if he was going to say something but deciding against it. I was grateful to be the one driving so I could have something other than how angry I was to focus on. I didn't wait for him as I walked into work, taking the stairs so I didn't have to share a lift with him. 

"How long do you plan on ignoring me for?" Spencer asked me after an hour of being sat at our desks. 

"I'm not ignoring you." I turned to look at him, smiling innocently. He was smart enough to look slightly intimidated by my stare. "I just wouldn't want to complicate things by talking to you too much."