Chapter Sixteen

I stretched out my legs, titling my head back as I soaked in the hot Texas sun, grateful to finally get some colour back on my skin. Emily, Rossi and I were lounging on some chairs outside, taking a small break from the case while Spencer and Morgan went over the crime scenes and Hotch and JJ talked to the M.E.

"I love the sun but this heat is just taking the piss now, it's suffocating," I groaned, wiping the sweat off my forehead with the back of my hand. Rossi grunted in agreement, the heat making him even grumpier than usual. I had a khaki green sleeveless top on in a poor attempt to keep cool, it probably wasn't helping that I still had my boots on too.

Emily was sat next to me, reading a book under some shade. She had on her red vest which she always looked so good in. If it wasn't for the 10 year age gap or that fact that I'm with Spencer, I definitely would have gone for her. My phone buzzed, distracting me from my completely inappropriate thoughts of Emily and I pulled it out, a text from Spencer flashing across the screen.

S: We're heading back now, I do hope you're doing something worth while and not still sat on your arse sunbathing.

I grinned at my phone, quickly typing out my reply.

M: I think you'll find sunbathing is extremely hard work and I'm doing an excellent job at it.

S: Yeah, I'm sure. How typical of you, leaving all the important work for me to do.

M: Isn't that all you're good for anyway?

"Maddie?" Emily shouted, causing me to jump slightly as she pulled my attention back away from my phone.

"Huh?" I frowned over my sunglasses at her, I hadn't even realised anyone was speaking to me.

"I said, do you want a cold drink? I'm heading to the vending machine." Emily had her arms folded across her chest. A sly smirk making its way across her face as she raised her eyebrows at me.

"Oh, yeah please, thank you!" I replied, smiling innocently. I looked down at my phone again reading a very dirty message from Spencer. Pressing my lips together to hide my smile, I placed my phone upside down on the table. Emily returned back to us outside, placing an ice cold can in front of me.

"Efharisto," I smiled up at her again, ignoring the suspicious looks she kept flashing me. I shoved my phone back in my pocket, I didn't think she would check it but I wasn't taking any chances.

"Why do you look so suspicious? What are you hiding on there?" She murmured, staring me down. I just shrugged, taking a sip from my drink.

"What's going on?" Derek asked, coming up behind me, Spencer following closely. Spencer flashed me a cheeky grin, putting on his sunglasses as he flopped into the chair next to me.                                                                                             

"Maddie's hiding something, she's been glued to her phone for the last few hours texting god know's who," she raised her eyebrows in question at me again.

"That's so weird, I literally just said the same thing to Spencer in the car!" Morgan exclaimed. He frowned, looking between the two of us until Emily's phone rang, dragging her away from where we were sat to answer it.

I looked at Spencer, raising my eyebrows as I pulled my hair up into a neat ponytail. "Who are you texting all the time, Dr Reid?"

"None of your business, Dr Parker," he shrugged, looking over his sunglasses at me. He stuck his tongue out, his eyes sparking with humour which sent me into a fit of giggles. I glanced over to Morgan again, who's eyes were still flicking between the two of us until they settled on me. He opened his mouth slightly, gaping as realisation flashed across his face.

"That was Garcia, Hotch and JJ are bringing three teenage boys in for questioning," Emily announced, walking back over to the group. "Hotch wants us all there."

I winked at Morgan as I walked past him, heading into the precinct. He just sat there grinning at me, I wasn't bothered if he knew because there was actually no way he could prove it. Plus, he was Spencer's best friend and I'd like to think there was enough trust between them for him to keep his suspicions to himself.

~

We were on the jet headed back home; thankfully it hadn't taken long for one of the boys to crack under the pressure of the interrogation, admitting to all three of the murders we had been investigating.

I took my usual seat next to the window, Spencer sitting across from me reading a book with his glasses on. I placed my phone on the table, pulling out my own book as Emily sat next to me and JJ next to Spencer.

"Who is 'dumbass' and why are they going to show you - oh my god ew I did not need to read that!" Emily exclaimed. My head snapped up, staring at her in horror as my phone was lit up on the table, Spencer's dirty message from before still on display. Fuck.

"Um..." I didn't have to fake the embarrassment I was feeling as heat rose to my cheeks.

"Oh my god Maddie! Have you got a boyfriend!" JJ squealed, grinning at me. Spencer just sat there staring in amusement, his mouth twitching ever so slightly.

"That explains why you're always smiling at your phone and you're never free to hang out with us anymore!" Emily nodded, grinning along with JJ.

"So what if I have a boyfriend," I grumbled, snatching my phone off the table. All I was thinking thank god I had changed his contact name so they didn't know who had actually sent me that text.

"Why didn't you tell us?" JJ asked, clearly unfazed by my embarrassment.

"Well, who is he?" Emily asked at the same time.

"Uh, he's called Jackson," I offered up, cringing away from this awkward conversation. My heart was beating out of my chest. shit shit shit.

"What does he do?" Spencer asked, smirking at me from where he sat. He was enjoying watching me squirm far too much.

"He's an anaesthesiologist," I replied without hesitation, matching his smirk with a cocky grin of my own before turning to look at the girls. "And, I didn't tell you because we've only really kind of being seeing each other for like two months so things are still really knew, I didn't want to jinx it."

"Awwww, look at you finally showing some real emotions," JJ giggled.

"I do have real emotions, what are you talking about!" I frowned, Spencer gave me a look to tell me I was wrong but I couldn't even bring myself to look at him properly.

"No you don't Princess, you're a heartless bitch most of the time," Morgan muttered, leaning against the table next to us. I just gasped, feigning being hurt as I pressed a hand to my chest.

"Not anymore, she's got a boyfriend now," Emily explained, glancing towards Morgan.

"Oh, does she now? How interesting," he grinned at me. I just gave him a warning stare, daring him to say something. "How did you guys meet?"

I scrunched my nose, pretending to think about his question. "We actually met in a cafe, that real cute one at the end of your street Spence." Spencer's face dropped, the grin wiped off his face completely. "He's from New York and he's very, very smart! I've got him totally whipped though, completey wrapped around my little finger."

"Is he good in bed?" JJ asked, her chin resting in the palm of her hands as she leant forwards on the table. I looked between them all, forcing a sheepish grin on my face before looking at Spencer.

"He's okay," I shrugged, "pretty average but he's good enough, I suppose." The glare I was getting from Spencer was enough to tell me I was in for it when I got home but I didn't care, if anything it was only encouraging me more.

"What do you mean good enough?" Emily gaped at me, "you do... you know, right?"

"Sometimes," I rolled my eyes; another complete lie. "He can be kinda selfish in bed at times."

"Maddie, you need to have some serious words with your man. Go see him tonight and tell him to sort it out." I just grinned at Emily, nodding along with her. I half felt bad for lying to them but the look on Spencer's face was worth it. Or at least I thought it was until he refused to speak a single word to me the rest of the flight home.