𝐱𝐱𝐯. BROKEN BRIDGES

▬▬▬ CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE ▬▬▬

PERCY HAD ALREADY MADE A call to Annabeth telling her to bring the entire camp to the Empire State Building. A little past the afternoon, and they had arrived.

Three white vans pulled up the curb. They said Delphi Strawberry, which was the cover name for Camp Half-Blood.

The first van was driven by Argus, their many-eyed security chief. The other two were driven by harpies.

The doors slid open. A bunch of campers climbed out, some of them looking a little green from the long drive. Esmerelda saw a bunch of familiar faces: Pollux, Silena, the Stoll brothers, Michael Yew, Jake Mason, Katie Gardner, Annabeth, and Lou Ellen. Chiron came out of the van last. His horse half was compacted into his magic wheelchair, so he used the handicap lift.

The only cabin she couldn't see was the Ares cabin, which made her bite her lip in frustration.

Esmerelda jogged over to hug Lou Ellen tightly. "I'm sorry for leaving without informing you."

"Where did you go?" Lou Ellen asked worriedly.

"The Underworld. Lou, I—our siblings, they're dead." She finally told her.

Lou Ellen didn't look too crushed, which was to be expected. She had only met the other Hecate kids briefly, and they tried to hunt her and Basil down. In her eyes, Esmerelda was pretty much the only sibling she had.

"O-oh," she stuttered, then her face fell. "I'm sorry, Essie."

"Alabaster is still alive though," Esmerelda murmured. "But no matter. How many came?"

"Forty." She answered grimly.

Not exactly enough to defeat an army of 1,000+ enemy demigods, some titans and minor gods, and a whole bunch of monsters.

But still, it was the largest group of half-bloods she had ever seen gathered in one place outside of camp.

Everyone looked nervous, which was understandable. They were probably sending out so much demigod aura that every monster in the northeastern United States knew they were here.

Percy cleared his throat, and everyone turned to him. "Thanks for coming, everybody. Chiron, after you."

Their old mentor shook his head. "I came to wish you luck, my boy. But I make it a point never to visit Olympus unless I am summoned."

"But you're our leader."

He smiled. "I am your trainer, your teacher. That is not the same as being your leader. I will go gather what allies I can. It may not be too late to convince my brother centaurs to help. Meanwhile, you called the campers here, Percy. You are the leader."