𝐢𝐢𝐢. BACK TO SCHOOL

▬▬▬▬▬ CHAPTER THREE ▬▬▬▬▬

ESMERELDA WAS JUST WALKING DOWN to the living room when she heard Sirius let out a high-pitched shriek. She nearly threw herself down the stairs and burst into the kitchen to see what was going on.

"Oh," she relaxed when she saw Nico standing in the dark corner of the kitchen. "It's just you."

"You gave me a bloody heart attack!" Sirius whined, setting his coffee down on the counter. "Kid, what have I told you about walking out of creepy shadows when I'm in the room?"

"Not to do it 'cause it scares you," Nico droned.

"Exactly! Merlin, and I nearly dropped my coffee..." He sighed heavily.

"Can I have some?" Nico asked.

"Absolutely not," Esmerelda answered. "Coffee stunts your growth. Do you want to stay short forever?"

"It does not stunt your growth, that's just a myth," he scowled as he took to the pantries and began rummaging through the food. Sirius had long given up trying to teach the kid to ask for permission first, since he always came and went whenever he wanted. "Do you have any chocolate chip waffles?"

"Sirius ate it all," Esmerelda shot her uncle a glare, which he pretended to not notice. "But I think we have some cheesy omelets though. What are you doing here so early anyways? It's, like, six o'clock. Oh! Have you found something about Luke's mother?"

"Nothing yet," Nico said darkly. "This is going to take us forever at this rate."

"Uh, I have a question," Sirius chimed into the conversation. "Why exactly are you two looking for the bad guy's mother? Are you guys hoping to bring her in to the final battle or something so she can ground the kid or...?"

Esmerelda snorted. "I wish, but no. Luke took a dip in the River Styx, the same thing Achilles had done years ago."

It took several seconds for Sirius to understand who she was even talking about.

"Achilles. Right. Uh, the fellow with the heel?" He asked.

"Yeah," Nico answered this time. "Luke's virtually indestructible now thanks to him bathing in the River Styx, save for his only point of weakness that we don't know about. We're planning to have Percy do the same thing—"

"—Percy?" He interrupted.

"Son of Poseidon? The dude who's birthday party I attended?" Esmerelda reminded him. "He's basically our only chance of winning the war."

Sirius swallowed thickly. "Spectacular."

"Anyways," Nico continued. "We're planning on having Percy take up the Curse of Achilles too, except there may be a certain requirement that we're not sure of."