𝐱𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢. GUTS AND GLORY

▬▬▬ CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT ▬▬▬

THAT'S A FLYING PIG, ESMERELDA thought deliriously.

"REEEEET!"

The squeal echoed through upper Manhattan. Demigods and monsters alike froze in terror.

"REEEEEET!"

A huge pink creature soared over the reservoir—a Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade nightmare blimp with wings.

Esmerelda had no idea if she was hallucinating or not, but she wouldn't be surprised if she was. Right now she had a huge concussion from when Hyperion threw a park bench at her, plus she had used up so much of her magic that her head was pounding as if there were a bunch of hammers slamming into her skull.

She really hoped it was a hallucination though, because that flying pig was swooping down right for her.

"A sow!" Annabeth cried. "Take cover!"

"ESSIE MOVE!" Someone screamed, but Esmerelda continued to lay on the ground, way too dazed and weak to even move.

The winged lady pig swooped down, but just before it's hooves could crush her body, someone had yanked her away.

"Essie, you gotta stay awake!" The person shouted in her ear.

"Can't..." She mumbled, eyes falling shut. "Gonna pass out."

"No, don't!"

Naturally, she didn't listen. Her eyes closed shut and her mind blanked out.

She was hoping to have a blissful, dream-free sleep but the Fates never gave her what she wanted. Oh well, at least in the dreamworld all her current injuries and aches were gone.

In her dreams, she was back in Hades' garden. The lord of the dead paced up and down, holding his ears while Nico followed him, waving his arms.

Seriously? Esmerelda sighed in disappointment. Your father still isn't listening?

"You have to!" Nico insisted.

She nodded approvingly, "Yeah, you tell him Nico!"

Demeter and Persephone sat behind them at the breakfast table. Both of the goddesses looked bored out of their minds. Demeter was pouring shredded wheat into four huge bowls. Persephone was magically changing the flower arrangement on the table, turning the blossoms from red to yellow to polka-dotted.

"I don't have to do anything!" Hades' eyes blazed. "I'm a god!"

Esmerelda groaned and rolled her eyes. "You are so annoyingly stubborn, you know that?"