chapter 9: promise

With the walkers hot on her tail Sophia kept running through the dark woods. Rick went to the right following the young girl as Vid stayed on the trail.

"Hey fuckers!" The walkers turned to look at her. Lavitia spun the bat in her hands. "You want me? Come get me."

As the walkers approached, Sophia was met by Rick scooping her up and carrying her away. Vid smiled before reeling the bat back and swinging. The first walkers head smashing on impact from her bat as it fell into the second.

Rick soon appeared next to Vid again.

"I'm gonna lead them away, go to Sophia. She's under an alcove by the river." She nodded before throwing the bat to Rick and taking off towards the river.

"Sophia?" Vid slid down the hill into the water below. "Hey kiddo." The girl shot out from under the hiding spot and wrapped her arms around the elder girl. "Hey, hey, we're okay. Are you hurt?" The brunette squatted down to her level. The blonde shook her head no. "Okay, good, great. Did Rick say where to go?" Sophia nodded.

"That way." She pointed to the right. Vid looked up.

"We gotta hurry okay?" She held her hand out for Sophia to take, she took it. They climbed out of the river bed and up the hill. "Okay, which way now?" Sophia froze thinking to herself.

"Left." Both directions are dark, either could be it.

"Alrighty hun." They marched through the brush holding on to each other. "Soph, I'm really, really, proud of you. You didn't run, you did what Rick said and you're safe. Good job."

After almost 20 minutes of walking, nothing. No road, no RV, nothing.

"Vid? Are we going the right way?"

"I- uh, I don't know kid." Vid stopped walking causing the younger girl to follow suit. Sophia's eyes glanced nervously between Lavitia and the woods around them, "We'll be fine though okay? I won't let anything happen to you okay?"

Sophia nodded, "I know." Vitia's hand gently rested on the back of her head as they continued walking.

I really hope T didn't get bit. If he did, God I can't even think about it.

The younger girl started shivering as the sun began to set. "Here," Vid slipped the bomber jacket off her shoulders handing it to the girl. "it's warm." Sophia wrapped it around herself quickly.

"Vid?" The older girl hummed in response.

"Where are we gonna sleep tonight?" Fuck.

Vitia's eyes opened slowly, her surroundings unfamiliar. No Glenn poking her awake, no T-Dog whistling around camp, no RV revving. Just a branch stabbing her in the back. Turning to her right she spotted Sophia asleep on the branch next to her, bomber jacket draped over her. They had spotted a tent an hour before finding the tree but after Vid checked it, it wasn't a good sight. Leading them to keep walking. She stared at the leaves above her.

I should've looked where we came from. I'm supposed to be the responsible one here. Fuck. Carol's probably worried sick.

She looked at the girl again.

She's safe Carol. I got her.

Sophia's eyes opened softly. "Hi kiddo." Vid mumbled softly.

"Hi." She rubbed her eyes. "I miss my mom."

"I know you do honey. We'll find 'em again." Sophia met her eyes.

"Promise?" I shouldn't do this. Vid held her pinky out. Sophia smiled softly, linking her pinky with hers.

"Promise."