chapter 5: beautiful loser

The next morning the quarry group piled into their cars. Morales and his family split from them moments before they left, they had family they needed to find. Vid didn't believe they'd ever find them.

Shane leading the way in his Jeep. Dale, T-Dog, Vid, Glenn, Jacqui, Andrea, and a sickly Jim in the RV following close behind with the Grimes and Peletier family on their tail. Daryl was at the back hauling Merle's motorcycle.

They rode in silence for a while, too much was on Vid's mind to say anything.

"You doing okay back there kiddo?" Dale was talking to Vid, Glenn and her were the only ones he called kiddo and at the moment Glenn and T-Dog were deeply enthralled in a conversation about pizza toppings.

With the table she was sitting at directly behind Dale's driver's seat she simply turned around and gave his shoulder a squeeze. That was their communication when Vid would go non-verbal, when things were too much for her or she just didn't feel like speaking. One squeeze for yes, two for no.

"Good. Hey, I'm pretty sure I have a copy of Lord of the Rings in the back if you wanna check that out." Vid didn't respond for a second. "It's Return of the King I think, your favorite one." Vid practically jumped up from the seat and headed towards the back of the RV. As she stood at the bookshelf she admired Dale's collection. He had all of the Lord of the Rings books, a smile crossed her face as she grabbed The Hobbit down.

Might as well restart the whole collection.

That was when she heard Andrea's voice from the front, it was low, a whisper.

"Why doesn't she talk?" She was asking T-Dog.

T shrugged in response. "I don't know man, the entire time I've known her sometimes she just stops talking. Dale seems to know what she needs though." It made her feel better knowing that T had her back when it came to this stuff.

To be honest, she didn't know why sometimes she'd just stop talking, Dale and Glenn found ways to understand her even when she felt like she didn't deserve it. Dale had the squeezes and Glenn and her had the number game. One meant yes, two meant no, three meant maybe, four was leave me be, five was I'll tell you later, and six was back up or I'm going to hit you.

Andrea leaned back towards T-Dog. "Don't you think it's kinda weird? I mean she's a fully grown woman and needs Dale to talk for her?" T just kind of scowled at her before shaking his head and looking back to continue his conversation with Glenn. Normally in this situation Vid would walk out there and set things straight with Andrea but after yesterday, she didn't have the heart or the energy to do so.

Heading further back into the RV she closed the door where the beds were. They were two singles divided by a single nightstand. One was for Glenn the other for Vid. Dale hated sleeping in the RV so he never really did, opted for a tent but any opportunity Vid and Glenn could slip away and spend the night in the RV was a good night.

Vid slid into her bed throwing the lightest blanket over her legs before curling up with her book. Something jabbed into her lower back as she leaned back into the pillow.

"Fuckin hell." She fished whatever it was out, discovering it was a walkman. She smiled slightly. It was Dale's before it was her's, it was the last thing she grabbed before leaving the Horvath household when Atlanta began to fall. She slipped the headphones on before pressing rewind, allowing the tape to be a surprise for her. The moment the groove kicked in she knew what it was, Bob Seger, Dale's favorite. Beautiful Loser began filling her ears as she pressed her head against the window watching the road fly by.

Her life was shit, but by God it was her life.

Beautiful loser
Where you gonna fall?
When you realize
You just can't have it all