chapter 2: bad girls do it well

tw: mention of sexual assault

After the talk with Glenn she was finally able to get some sleep after the shift switched for lookout. Her tent was the furthest from camp, she liked being alone, it was better that way. Finally changing out of the clothes she'd been wearing for the past 3 days she put clean ones on.

Last set, fuck we need to do laundry. Which means all the women have to do it and Ed can watch us and be a fucking creep.

Carol's husband Ed was a scumbag, everyone in camp hated him, but nowhere near as much as Vid did.

Ed reminded her of her own father, back when she would still consider him that. He was an abusive son of a bitch who Vid hopes was dead by now but hell if she knew. She left home when she was 12, jumping from shelter to shelter before saying screw it and just living on the street by a bar. The people at the bar knew her and would give her food whenever they had any leftover. She owed what little life she still had to them.

Putting on the last pair of clean clothes she had she emerged from her tent, they were a mix of Dale's and Glenn's. The khakis were Glenn's as well as the faded Tomb Raider shirt that hung off one shoulder, and the green flannel was Dale's. Her almost black hair was pulled into a hair tie given to her by Lori.

Rick was the first one she saw, he was standing beside the campfire drinking what she assumed to be coffee. He raised his hand in a subtle wave, she returned it.

"Mornin' Lavitia." He said as she got into earshot handing her a mug. With a thin lipped smile she accepted it, letting it warm her hands.

"Morning Officer." She looked behind him and saw Glenn approach. She shot him a real smile, her real smile was small and you wouldn't notice it if you didn't know her, good thing Glenn knew her.

He walked behind Rick throwing his elbow onto Vid's shoulder.

"Morning idiot." She smacked her hand into his side making his arm fall as he recoiled before he could open his mouth.

"Bitch."

"Jerk."

He turned his head back to his car being scavenged for parts and gas. "Look at 'em, vultures. Yeah, go on, strip it clean." He snapped.

"Generators need every drop of fuel they can get. Got no power without it, sorry Glenn." Dale walked past carrying a gas can, patting Glenn's back. Glenn honestly looked really sad, Vid felt bad. She'd rarely seen him this down before, only when the outbreak first began and last night.

"Thought I'd get to drive it at least a few more days." She set the mug down crossing her arms over her chest.

"Maybe we'll get to steal another one someday." Rick walked away after patting Glenn on the arm.

Vid leaned closer to Glenn and whispered to him. "He's got an awful good way with words doesn't he?" Sarcasm leaked off her voice making Glenn smile. "One day, you, me and the coolest fucking car are gonna cruise-" She held her hand out, moving it like a wave as she spoke, "through the countryside, just wait."

"Someday." He sighed.

Someday, that's what sucks, we're never promised tomorrow.

Shane roared up in his Jeep, "Water's here y'all. Just a reminder to boil before use."

"Water boy." She scoffed to Glenn as they unloaded the jugs of water from the truck bed.

"You got something you wanna say to me Wells." Shane must have heard her murmur as he leaned closer to her.