chapter 1: welcome back

A siren took the quarry group by surprise. "Talk to me Dale!" Shane yelled running to the RV. Lavitia Wells ran over to where Amy stood. Lavitia looked like your average 20 year old, besides from the dark circles under her eyes and the clothes she wore that were 2 sizes too big and definitely not hers.

"Can't tell yet." Dale replied as Amy grabbed her arm lightly, Vitia's face flushed.

"Is it them? Are they back?" Amy was a nervous wreck since Andrea went on a run for supplies and food for the group.

"I'll be damned." Dale murmured.

"What is it?" Amy called back.

"Stolen car is my guess."

Who the hell would steal a car now? By the looks of it, it was a red Dodge Challenger. Hell, it's gorgeous.

The girl's heart rate increased as it pulled up to camp, a blaring siren ringing her ears. A boy emerged with a baseball cap.

"Trying to lead every walker in the city to us?" Shane screamed getting closer to Glenn. Shane Walsh was a know it all ex cop who loved being in control, also known by Vid as "the king of douchebags."

"He made it back didn't he?" Dale interjected before turning around to Glenn and in a lower voice said, "But what the hell were you thinking?" Dale Horvath was the eldest member of the quarry group and in the girls opinion, the smartest.

Avoiding the confrontation Vid slid into the open driver's side of the car, prying the panel below the steering wheel open. Finding the red wire she cut it with her pocket knife, cutting the car's power. The heads of the quarry residents turned to her as she got out.

"What?"

Shane sighed and walked away.

With that, the U-Haul pulled up. The same one the group had left in hours earlier. Andrea climbed out and Amy ran to reunite with her sister. "Nice to have the pizza boy back." Vid punched Glenn's arm lightly as she wandered back over to him.

"Oh ha ha." He mocked her. "But seriously, you're not gonna believe this-"

"What? Did you find a copy of Portal 2?" She smirked as Glenn shot her a death glare. The second game was supposed to release the next year but with the undead running rampant, it was a no go.

He just rolled his eyes before going back into his story.

"There was this guy, he looked like a cowboy, hiding in a tank, man. It was crazy!" Vitia nodded eyebrows raised, not believing a word he said. "I helped him get out of there and-"

"And where is the cowboy man?" Vid spoke as she tossed herself up onto the hood of the car Glenn had stolen, her jeans keeping the heat from the hood off her legs.

Glenn pointed to the U-Haul. As she looked over, a man with light brown curly hair donning a police uniform stepped out. She spotted his face turn into a delighted smile as the groups resident widow and her child ran to him.

"No fuckin' way, Carl's dad."

The man scooped Carl into his arms and held him in the most crushing hug either of the friends had ever seen.

Lavitia looked to Glenn on her left, he looked back with a smile, she returned it.

It was a nightly tradition that they'd make a campfire and gather around, talking about the day or talking about the world before the apocalypse.

Vid normally spent that time on top of the RV Dale owned. Sometimes Glenn would join her, they'd share cigarettes and "shoot the shit", as Vid liked to call it.