chapter 4: we bury them

Lori was at Andrea's side when Vid woke up the next morning. Knowing Andrea she probably hasn't moved all night from her deceased sister's side. Vid hadn't fully looked at Amy since it happened. She couldn't force herself to, that wasn't Amy anymore.

T and Glenn carried the rest of the bodies to a burn pile.

We haven't had to do one in a while.

The stench of burning and rotting flesh stung her nose. They used to have burn piles a lot, she just had to convince herself it was just rotting meat, animal rotting meat.

She had just sat on one of the folding chairs they had set up by the fire when Rick walked up. "She still won't move?"

If it was Carl or Lori could you?

"She won't even talk to us." Vid looked to Lori on her left. "She's been there all night. What do we do?"

Vid sighed before looking back up at Lori. "Honestly, I'm not sure. She needs to mourn but this world isn't the place to mourn anymore." She felt a twinge in her heart as she spoke.

"Can't just leave Amy like that." True, but we can't lose Andrea too.

"We need to deal with it." Shane spoke slowly. She leaned back in her chair and Dale placed a hand on her shoulder. She didn't tense up like she normally would when someone behind her would touch her, she was too tired to care. She only really got at most 2 hours last night from the constant waking up in a cold sweat from dreams too foggy to remember and a pain in her heart she couldn't shake.

"I'll tell her how it is."

Rick, that is not the best choice but you need to learn.

When Vid heard the gun cock she knew Rick learned his mistake.

--

"Y'all can't be serious? Let that girl hamstring us? The dead girl's a time bomb." Daryl spat. He had joined the group around the fire.

That dead girl has a name.

"What do you suggest?"

Rick's good at that, deescalating the situation, hearing opinions, and not making rash calls, unlike our beloved Shane.

Daryl stepped forward. "Take the shot." He can't be serious. "Clean in the brain from here." Okay, maybe he is serious. "Hell, I can hit a turkey between the eyes from this distance." Okay, now you're just bragging.

"No," Everyone turned to stare at her, her tone was harsh, and demanding, very unlike her. "leave her be." Daryl stared her down so she stared back at him. "If that was Merle lying there you'd do the same goddamn thing."

"Don't you bring him into this!" He pointed his finger at her as he approached quickly.

"Or what?" She leaned forward, resting her elbows on her knees as she looked up at Daryl through her eyebrows. "Or what?"

Rick quickly stepped in between them. "Everyone just needs to calm down, now."

Daryl scoffed and walked away, he knew he couldn't win with her especially with Rick there.

"We don't burn them!" She heard Glenn's voice raise. He never ever yelled. "We bury them. Understand?" His voice was dry and raspy, sounding almost on the verge of tears. She quickly picked up what was going on, leaning back in her chair. Morales and Daryl were trying to move a dead member of the camp to the burn pile. Something they silently agreed not to do in the beginning.

Glenn needs to stand up for himself more, he's one of the best men here.

She looked up at Dale, her lips pressed in a thin line. He looked worried and it made her worried.