chapter 7: what did i expect

The sound of arguing woke her.

The hangover headache had just started. "Son of a bitch." She ran her fingers through her, once again tangled, hair, throwing herself to her feet. At first, with her legs jelly, she latched onto the dresser next to the bed to steady herself. Glenn laid peacefully sleeping next to her.

She heard muffled yelling and it began to worry her.

Are Rick and Lori fighting already? Or is it Dale and Andrea again?

She made her way to the door rubbing her eyes still filled with sleep. Opening the door quietly, she poking her head into the hallway. The hallway still had the glowing bright LED lights. The screaming continued, it was coming from the rec room. She stepped her foot out to leave when the rec room door swung open, she immediately stepped back into her room leaving the door open a crack. Shane passed by in a huff, slamming his bedroom door closed after he entered. Vid sprinted out the door and down the hall to the rec room. She swung the door open to see a shaking crying Lori.

"Lori holy shit!" Vid ran to her side. Lori collapsed into her arms and her entire body shook. Vid rubbed her back and just held her, she slowly led Lori to the ground so they could sit.

What in the fuck happened?

"What happened?" Lori cried harder. "It's okay, it's okay. You're okay." The girl started rocking gently back and forth. The rocking was something Dale used to do for her way in the beginning when she couldn't breathe she was crying so hard.

It was only about five minutes Vid held her, but it felt like a lot longer. Once Lori's breathing returned to semi-normal she asked her again, "What happened?" The woman pulled away and grabbed Vid's shoulders, shaking her head.

"Just," she wiped tears away. "I'm okay." Vid nodded slowly, almost suspiciously.

"You gonna head to bed?" She asked, pulling her knees into her chest. Lori nodded before speaking.

"Yeah, I just need to clean up." As she spoke she pulled her arm from her shoulder and gestured to the books all over the room, before dropping the other to cross over her chest.

"I'll clean up, go get some rest." There were only a few books, a plate or two, not much. She smiled weakly at Vid.

"Thank you Lavitia, honestly." She reached out and hugged her again. No one ever used her full name so she leaned back surprised.

"Anytime Lori." Vid murmured as her head rested on her shoulder.

She grabbed the stray books Sophia, Carl, and Carol left out. Snagging a couple to bring back with her. Checking the clock on the wall it read 3am.

Damn. Those 5 minutes I spent with Lori was the only heart to heart we've ever had.

"Vitia?" She jumped at the voice causing her to look up, Sophia.

"Honey, what are you doing up?" She walked over to the girl and crouched down like she always did.

"I couldn't sleep." She shrugged slowly. "I wanted a book and some water."

"Well kid, I know some pretty good books." Vid stood straight again stretching before walking over to the pile of books she was gonna put away. Her finger raced along the spines of the books scanning for the title she was looking for, before she saw it. The BFG by Roald Dahl. "Here." She slid it off the shelf and handed it to her.

"What's it about?" She asked, examining the cover and pages.

"Well, it's about a boy, he meets a giant. At first, he's scared, but the giant's really nice, and they become friends and go on crazy adventures." Vid enthusiastically told her. I loved it when I was little and still do.