Sixty-five

Where they are, the night sky isn't full of stars like it would be at Hogsmeade. It's a hazy blue, lined with a pinkish orange near the horizon. Remus wishes he could see the stars. He wishes he could see Sirius.

When his heart started to beat normally again, Remus dragged himself out of his chair and ended up at the large window of the waiting room. It's a thick sheet of glass that covers almost one whole wall of the room.

And he really wishes he could see Sirius.

Sighing, Remus wraps his arms around himself. Regulus might have said those things in a surge of emotion, but they're not lies. They don't feel like lies.

They feel like everything Remus has been stopping himself from thinking.

Remus takes a deep breath. It's loud and shaky, like he's going to cry, but he knows he isn't. He's cried so much, he just can't anymore. He rubs at his chest, trying to ease the lump there, the ache of cries calling to be released.

Feeling a hand on his shoulder, he looks up. He gives Auguste a small smile. "Hey," he says, then turns his face back to the window.

"You alright?"

"Yeah, I am. Thank you," Remus turns to him, "Where's Regulus?"

"There's a balcony in the cafeteria," Auguste says, "I told him to get some fresh air,"

"He must be tired, too," Remus sighs.

"Yeah," Auguste replies, "I imagine he is,"

"Hey, Auguste," Remus turns his back to the window, pressing up against it.

"Yeah?"

"Are you alright?"

Auguste looks at him, somewhat surprised. Remus notices that his eyes are blue. "Yeah?" It comes out a question. "I'm... I'm alright-"

"You heard one of your closest friends drive himself into a crash over the phone. You can't tell me you're alright and expect me to believe it, Auguste."

Auguste opens his mouth and then closes it, frowning.

"What I meant is that..." He sighs, shaking his head.

Remus puts a hand on his arm. "I know," he says quietly, "But you don't have to."

Auguste looks at him, and Remus still can't read him that well. "I appreciate it," he finally says, "And now I realise that I just made myself sound like a standoffish jerk, but that's not really what I meant to do." He shifts awkwardly, making Remus let out a little huff of amusement. Seeing that, Auguste smiles too, his cheeks colouring a bit.

It reminds Remus of how they had talked in the library of Sirius' home one day.

"You know," Auguste crosses his arms, leaning one shoulder against the window, "If I wasn't so sure Sirius was into you, I'd have asked you out that first time we met at that party,"

"Are you flirting with me?" Remus narrows his eyes, "Because now is really not the time,"

Auguste looks offended. "What?" He uncrosses his arms, "No, I... no."

Remus laughs a little, despite all his worries. "I was just teasing,"

Auguste frowns at him. "Oh? Must've been fun, watching me panic," he says in a somewhat mocking tone.

"Very much so," Remus retaliates.

Auguste laughs, shaking his head. "I should probably go check on Reg. He might've got lost," he says. Remus nods, watching him turn to leave, feeling a little nervous.

And then, for some God forsaken reason, Remus stops him. "Hey, wait," Remus calls, "I have... I've been meaning to ask you something."

Auguste turns to him, giving him a questioning look.

"Uhm," Remus mumbles, wishing he hadn't done this. "I..." He takes a deep breath. No going back now. "I know that you said you and Sirius are friends," he says, "with benefits. But..."

Oh dear God, what has he started?

"But for you," Remus pauses, "there's more, isn't it?"

Auguste stays silent, looking down at his feet. Remus watches him, his chest tightening again. Oh God.

"I'm so sorry, come here," he mumbles, giving Auguste that hug he's been wanting to give him for hours now. "I'm so sorry," he says again as Auguste wraps his arms around him. The smell of Auguste's cologne makes Remus wish it was Sirius in his arms instead, and then he instantly feels horrible for thinking that.

"Me too," Auguste smiles as they pull away. This time, Remus can read his smile. And it's so sad, it makes Remus want to cry again. "It... It doesnt bother you, does it?"

"What?" Remus frowns, "No, oh my God, no. I think... I think Sirius is really lucky to have someone who cares about him like you do."

Auguste looks flustered. "Thank you, Remus," he smiles softly, "I... I'll go look for Reg, now." He turns around and practically runs out of the door.

And Remus stares after him, wondering what to think.

***

"Remus?"

Remus whirls around, just in time for Regulus to come crashing into him. The collision draws a small sound from Remus, but he manages to wrap his arms around Regulus without falling to the ground.

"I'm so sorry," Regulus mumbles into his shoulder, squeezing Remus.

Remus can't help but smile. "It's alright, Reg," he says gently, rubbing Regulus' back. Regulus is taller than Sirius, but still an inch or so below Remus at all times. "We're alright," Remus says.

"It isn't," Regulus says, and his words catch in Remus' jumper and end up muffled. "I feel so horrible,"

Remus pulls him back, holding him by his shoulders. Regulus' eyes are grey, too, but not inky dark like Sirius'. They're a lighter shade of grey, silvery and intense and bright, almost difficult to look at.

"You shouldn't," Remus tells him, "I'm telling you not to, aren't I?"

Regulus gives Remus a wobbly smile, like he's trying not to cry. "I'm still sorry," he says, his voice thick, "I wish I didn't say what I said."

"Well, it's done now," Remus smoothes Regulus' hair back. His forehead is warm, and he feels so much like Sirius. "And I'm not upset."

"You're so annoying," Regulus hugs him again, and Remus smiles into his hair. "Can't you just be like, mad, or something?"

"But then I wouldn't be annoying anymore," Remus tells him as they pull away, "And wouldn't that be so sad?"

Regulus laughs. It's only half a laugh. No one is feeling well enough to laugh right now, but it's so good to have him back.

"I missed you so much," Regulus shakes his head. He grabs Remus' hand then, and tugs him over to where Remus was sitting before. Auguste is sitting there, watching them. "Come on, I can tell you about Italy until we get news on Sirius."

***

Author's Note

I don't actually have anything to say I'm just making a note for the sake of making one. I am shit depressed rn

Vote and comment xx

Okay I changed my mind I do have something to say : You'll get some (un)wholesome Sirius content soon, I just thought it'd be nice to get some ✨insightinto the side characters and also I like keeping you in suspense so