Seventeen

Blue light. Dizzying, watery blue light.

A second later, red light. Caustic and angry. Much better suited for the party.

Remus has never been a particularly self-assured person, but God, he's never felt this uncomfortable. He shrinks a little more into the wall when the lights turn a menacing green. If James and Lily weren't on their way, he would have left hours ago. Except he hasn't been there for more than twenty minutes.

Muggle London is a lot busier than he remembers, and a lot more populated with wizards than he would've dreamed. Somehow, several of his young neighbours from Hogsmeade have also chosen to witness this mess of a party.

Loud music with the bass vibrating in Remus' stomach. Bodies heavy with lust or alcohol, or maybe both. Nothing but the smell of alcohol, mingling with the sickly sweet of expensive women's eau de parfum and cheap body spray. Remus wants to drown himself in holy water just breathing it in.

What makes it more unbearable is the incongruence. Amidst all the nauseatingly close bodies, a dark haired boy has fallen asleep on the couch. And there's a pretty girl crying in a corner, being comforted by a prettier boy. Two boys are on the verge of strangling each other, held apart by a fierce looking girl with white hair. Also really pretty.

It's like a monthly meeting for the seven deadly sins.

None of this would've mattered if Sirius was there. But he isn't. Not even a sign of him. Feeling a tap on his back, Remus whirls around. His smile falters the slightest when he sees that it's not Sirius.

"Oh, uhm," Remus stares at the blond boy in front of him. His whole face is purple thanks to the lights. He looks familiar.

"Hey, Remus. Don't you remember me?"

"Peter?" Remus prays he's correct.

"Yeah! It's been so long since we saw each other. How are you?"

Peter Pettigrew was a friend of Remus' at Hogwarts. Well, as close to a friend as he had. Remus falls into a politely neutral conversation with him. He so badly wants to go home.

Remus feels his phone vibrate in his pocket. "Excuse me, please," he mumbles, pulling it out. "Hello? James?"

"Re, it's Lily,"

"Lily, hi. Are you guys nearly here?"

"Uhm, about that..."

Remus feels his heart sink. "Why aren't you coming?" He asks quietly.

"It's Euphemia," Lily sighs into the phone. "She fell down the stairs. James is at St. Mungo's already. I don't even know when he'll get back..."

"Oh my God," Remus gasps, "Is she okay? Do you need me to come-"

"No, no, she's fine, Re. She broke her wrist. But James says she's fine. You enjoy the party. I have to go now. Good night," Remus can hear Lily's smile in her voice.

"Yeah, I'll enjoy the party," Remus rolls his eyes, "Good night, Lily. Call me if you need anything."

Remus turns back to Peter. "So..." Peter raises an eyebrow.

"Uh..." Remus bites his lip. He notices something out of the corner of his eye. It's Sirius.

Spending so much time with him had made Remus a little oblivious to just how beautiful he is. But seeing him from a distance like this renders Remus truly in awe. He's dressed in a somewhat sheer white shirt, tucked carefully into a pair of black jeans. Simple but effective. With the blue light dancing on to the angles of his cheekbones, he looks like a medieval painting of a fairy prince. Remus wants to make a crown of daisies and place it on his head.