Twenty-one

Sirius helps Auguste lower the box on to the floor. A soft bubble of laughter rises out of Remus as he opens his arms for Mittens, who comes bounding right over. Mentos hisses at Auguste and runs to hide under the coffee table. Marshbutton does not give a fuck. She doesn't even get out of the box, just sits there like a verified sloth.

Remus cuddles Mittens into his chest and kisses his pink nose. He swats at Remus with a curved paw. Laughing, Remus tickles his belly and puts him down. Mittens runs over to Mentos, who starts licking his ear.

"I fed them canned tuna," Auguste says, leaning against a wall. Remus looks at him. "The white one didn't seem to be a big fan, but the other two ate just fine."

"Thank you so much," Remus says, a little dazed. Sirius, Regulus and Auguste in a room together can make anyone feel fuzzled.

But wait.

The other two.

Remus' heart makes a little leap. "I..." he turns to Sirius, who's suddenly gone quiet. "Mavis," Remus breathes out, chest heavy.

"I'm sorry, Remus," Sirius sucks his bottom lip in between his teeth. Remus covers his mouth with a hand.

"There was no time, I... I looked everywhere. I'm so sorry," Sirius says, taking a step closer. Remus shakes his head. "No, I... it's okay," he tries to smile. Regulus hugs him from the side. "Maybe she left the house before the fire," he says quietly. "We'll go look for her."

Remus' heart aches in his chest. He doesn't know what to say. "Thank you," he turns to Auguste again and receives a small smile. "Anything for a friend," he says in his deep voice.

"Come have breakfast," Sirius says, "Before it goes cold."

Taking the cue, Regulus drags Auguste into the kitchen. Sirius comes to stand by Remus, almost tripping over Marshbutton, who's left the box to conduct a much-needed quality assurance of the furniture. Remus gives him a weak smile. "Okay?" Sirius asks. Remus shakes his head the slightest.

"Come here," Sirius reaches up and pulls him into a warm hug. Remus lets his hands touch Sirius' back. "I'll go look for her, I promise."

"Take me with you," Remus sighs into Sirius' hair.

"You know I can't," Sirius sighs as well, "it's not safe."

"Do you think she died?" Remus asks. The words are heavy on his tongue, his mouth reluctant to speak them. "I don't know," Sirius replies, pulling him a little closer. "I can only hope not."

***

"We need to call the Aurors," Auguste says firmly, sipping on his blackcurrant. As it turns out, he's been granted immunity from Regulus' murderous tendencies. He's sitting on the armchair, one leg neatly crossing the other. "Before it becomes too late," he adds.

"I agree," Regulus says, scratching the back of Marshbutton's ear. He's sitting cross-legged on the couch next to Remus with Marshbutton hogging his lap. Mentos and Mittens have fallen asleep on Remus' other side, curled up together.

Sirius is on the floor, leaning against a wall with his legs stretched out in front of him, crossed at the ankles. He turns to Remus. "Well? What do you think?"

Remus looks down at his hands. The other three boys watch him, waiting for an answer.

"You're not going to say no, are you?" Regulus bites his lip.

"I won't," Remus shrugs, "But they won't do anything anyway."

Sirius leans his head back, looking at the ceiling. Auguste looks at him, "What does that mean?"