Seventy-three

Remus has just finished cleaning Sirius' nails when a knock on the door makes him jump. He looks at Sirius.

"I'd offer to get the door, but it's a bit of work to get up," Sirius curves an eyebrow.

"I..." Remus blushes, "I'll get it,"

"Such a gentleman, you," Sirius grins. Remus scowls at him before walking to the door and opening it. He blinks in surprise.

"Lily," he breathes out.

"Hi," Lily smiles, adjusting her bag on her shoulder. Remus pulls her into a hug. "I missed you," he says into her hair.

"I missed you too, Re," she says, "I'm so sorry I couldn't come sooner. Is Sirius awake?"

"Yeah, he's up," Remus glances behind her to see if James is there, but he isn't. "And don't worry about it, come on in."

He steps aside so that she can enter, and closes the door behind them. When he turns around, Sirius is watching them. He isn't smiling anymore.

"Hey," Lily says softly, walking over to him. "How do you feel?"

"I'm alright, thank you," Sirius replies. Remus doesn't miss the small frown that appears on Lily's face.

"Come sit," Sirius points at the chair next to him.

Lily looks at Remus, unsure. He gives her a smile, which she seems to find reassuring, and she does as told.

"I brought you something," she reaches into her bag and pulls out a familiar hexagonal box.

Sirius literally gasps. "You didn't,"

"Yes, I did," Lily laughs. "And it's white,"

"This is why you were always my favourite," Sirius grins.

"And that's not even all I brought," Lily smiles impossibly wider, pulling out two glass bottles.

"Butterbeer!" Sirius cheers, "I already feel better,"

Lily shakes her head, still smiling. "The two of you are never really going to grow up, are you?" She sighs, and Remus thinks he can see her smile falter a little. But before he can be sure of it, she's smiling again. She turns to Remus.

"I didn't forget you, Re," Lily says, "Here. I got you a frog as well."

"Oh, Lily," Remus takes the box from her hands, "Thank you so much, but you really shouldn't have,"

"Well, but I did," Lily tells him, zipping her bag up. She turns back to Sirius and leans forward, smoothing his hair back. "I'm so glad you're okay, Sirius," she murmurs, "I was really worried when James told me what happened."

Sirius looks down at his hands. "Sorry," he mumbles, chewing on his lip. Lily removes her hand from his head and gives his knee a small squeeze.

"There's no need to be sorry," she smiles, "As long as you don't do it again, okay?"

Sirius nods.

"I have to go now," Lily sighs, standing up.

"But you just came," Sirius frowns.

"I... have some errands to run," Lily bites her lip, "I'll try and come again as soon as I can. University's making it really difficult to find time, but I'll try, okay?"

"Okay," Sirius gives her a small smile. "Come when Reg's here. Im sure he'd love to see you," he says.

"Okay," Lily bends down to kiss his cheek. "Bye, Sirius. Get well soon, okay?"