Closure

Author's Note

Hello, everyone. This book and its undeserving end has been on my mind every single day and I just can't let it go like this, so...

Here's the end.

I'll describe everything that should've happened to the best of my abilities. I don't think I'll be able to tie everything up but i feel like Sirius and Remus deserve closure, as do you-some of you were here for so, so very long.

Enjoy.

***

Christmas that year is different from any other Christmas Remus has ever lived through.

Severus and Xenophilus refuse to give up on Remus (and Sirius), but the Quibbler simply can't come close to the influence that the Prophet had over Wizarding Britain. With the Ministry and the Prophet constantly attacking Remus-and the Werewolves in general-it's hardly a time for celebration, but...

But Remus is happy.

They have a quiet dinner that night. All of them, together. Remus, Sirius, Regulus, James, Auguste, and Lily. Quiet and worried as they are, they're happy with each other. Friends as pure as the snow just starting to fall.

For Remus, it's mostly holding Sirius' hand.

It's all well until Remus gets a phone call.

From there, things go by quicker than Remus could process much of it.

That night, it's Peter Pettigrew who calls him. His voice isn't clear-bad reception-and he's choking on his words and crying.

Sirius is furious. Regulus has to physically hold him back from blasting Remus' phone into pieces. Or worse, tracking Pettigrew down and sending him into the arms of the devil.

"I swear, I didn't mean for you to get hurt," Pettigrew cries. And Remus feels strangely apathetic. "Then maybe you shouldn't have told everyone," he says blankly.

Peter says a lot, but Remus forgets most of it by the time he hangs up. Peter is still begging for forgiveness when he does.

And that is the end of Christmas for them.

The next day, it's Sirius who gets a phone call. It's from Severus.

Sirius doesn't have a TV, so they have to rush over to Auguste's place. (James is there, too, no shirt and all, but neither Regulus nor Sirius point that out.)

The TV is already on, tuned into some sort of news programme. In front of the Ministry, it's chaos.

"He spoke to the press and went in," James plops down beside Remus, pulling a shirt on. He's talking about Pettigrew. "Said something about Remus deserving better, cried at least three buckets of tears, and just disappeared inside."

Lily can't make it because she has uni, but the boys keep her updated via text.

"Hopefully he doesn't accidentally fall down a staircase and die," James mumbles, staring at the TV. "I wouldn't mind," Regulus shrugs, "as long as it's after exposing the Ministry, anyway."

They wait and wait. The camera is focused on the facade of the Ministry, but it's dead silent. The journalists linger on, and the only exciting thing that happens in the next two hours is Regulus spotting Severus.

They're contemplating giving up when suddenly, an official appears. Some fifteen minutes of face-saving nonsense later, the boys turn the TV off.

It takes a whole another month for the trial to be held. And one more for the ruling to be made.

By that time, Remus has already been accepted for Hogwarts.

This time, the courtroom is full of cameras and the room for bullshit is a lot, lot less. And Sirius doesn't disappear either, which is a definite plus point in Remus' mind.

All that done with, it's only in May that Remus finds the courage to go back home. What's left of it, anyway.

It's pleasantly warm and he holds Sirius' hands as they walk. Sirius sticks close, his cheeks tinted a soft pink as the wind tousles his hair.

There are days when he gets bad-sadly, there are some things not even magic can fix-but right now, holding on to Remus, he looks like he's on top of the world. He looks happy. He looks healthy.

They stop in front of what used to be Remus' house. What, with all its creaky stares and peeling wallpaper and all other shortcomings, used to be home. There's not much left of it. Most of the rubble has been cleared, and there's an old banner hanging on the fence. Justice! it says in big red letters.

Remus can't help the sigh that leaves his mouth. To think that just one year ago, he used to live here-and how bittersweet it is to watch these ruins now. It's almost frightening that all this pain and hurt led to a life better in a million ways than what he had before.

Sirius squeezes his hand. "Okay?" he asks softly. When Remus turns his head, Sirius is looking up at him with a small smile.

"Yeah," Remus replies. "Okay."

He wants to say something else, but he doesn't really know what. Sirius pushes a little closer, pressing his head on Remus' shoulder. Remus welcomes him with an arm around his waist.

They stay like that for a while, each left to his own thoughts.

"Remus?"

"Hm?"

"I love you."

Such finality in that phrase, it's almost painful to hear. But only almost.

"And I love you," he replies, pressing a small kiss on Sirius' head. Sirius grins up at him. He opens his mouth to say something, but his words get drowned in a loud gasp.

"Remus," he gasps, gripping Remus' arm. His eyes are fixed on something behind. Remus spins around.

He frowns at a nearby bush that's still rustling.

"Tell me you saw what I saw," Sirius whispers, still holding on.

Remus opens his mouth to ask him what he saw, but he doesn't have to. He sees a black shape emerge from the bush. When he starts running towards it, he ends up answering his own question anyway.

"Mavis!"

the end.

***

Author's Note

Bold of you to assume I could ever kill a cat :)

Hello again. Hope you're all doing well.

I think this is gonna be all from me, reader. Thank you for staying with me through everything I put you through.

Since I'm finishing this off in a rush, I'm open to doing a Q&A chapter thing. I feel like it's the best way to resolve any questions you might have.

Or even if you wanna ask questions like "James, did you hook up with Auguste?''

Let me know if you'd like that.

Again, I'm so sorry it has to end like this.

Love,
Your Author.