3.

(A/N): HIIII! I'm back with another chapter :)) Please comment and let me know how you're liking the story; I would really appreciate the feedback!! I think I'm going to try to post every weekend with around 1000 to 3000-word chapters (this one is ~2100) This chapter is sponsored by all of the character analyses I watch and my mini identity crisis about people saying I would be a good therapist (including my therapist) and kinda seeing why when I also love astronomy and centered my entire personality around space. What subjects do you guys like?

You dodge a kick from your opponent and try to get a hit in but immediately go on the defensive again when they go for another blow and you can feel your magic coursing through your body. "Wake up, (Y/N)," Lonnie sneers, "I just might win this one." Despite your unfavorable circumstances, you offer her a small smile. She just might win this one today. Your fighting style is similar to Catra's and even though she had just beaten Lonnie two matches ago and you had committed all of her moves to memory, you are still losing miserably. Unfortunately, Catra doesn't have to worry about people seeing her eyes glow mid-fight, you think to yourself. You've won more fights against Lonnie than you've lost, but today is just a bad day.

On top of her having the physical advantage, she also had a psychological one, even if she didn't know about it. A few days had passed since you learned about your magic and you were doing your best to control it. If Adora had seen your eyes glow the other evening, she didn't mention it. You feel your magic, your weakness, the most when you fight, explaining why you had been winning so many matches before the New Year and losing so many after trying not to let your imperfection show. How could you be expected to fight well if it took everything in you to repress your magic. It truly was a hindrance.

Before you know it, Lonnie has you pinned to the ground, the match is called, she helps you up, and you head back towards the other cadets. Adora gives you a look and you grumble, "Bad day," in response. You stand in your spot with the other cadets as Adora and Catra get ready to spar.

You watch them as they move, but something is off: Catra's eyes are narrowed with determination. She's dodging all of Adora's swings and getting hits in. Normally, it's a much closer match between them. You sense another cadet has picked up on this: Lonnie. As the scent of everyone's sweat invades your senses, you inch closer to your colleague. "What is up with Catra today?" she asks.

"She never cares this much about training..." you respond slowly.

"Or maybe Adora's just off her game today," Lonnie continues, "I bet I would beat her if we were matched up today."

So that's why Lonnie was so interested. Good to know. "Maybe you would," you sigh as you watch your friends.

"What's wrong Adora?" Catra says with unusual sharpness to her tone. Adora grunts in response, not ready to give up her losing fight just yet. She swings another slow punch at Catra. Did she really think that would work, you think again, wondering when this will be over and you can go get your ration bar. Finally, Adora hits the floor with a thud and gives up on getting back up again.

The match is called and your squadron receives your final standings: Catra - 1st, Adora - 2nd, Lonnie - 3rd, (Y/N) - 4th, Rogelio - 5th, and Kyle - 6th (sorry kyle ily :/). You sigh, knowing these would be the results after your defeat and Catra's victory. You walk away, leaving Catra and Lonnie to gloat together. You know you are under a lot of pressure, but you are still dissatisfied. Catra is built similarly to you, so why does she beat Adora and you lose to Lonnie? Why am I so weak if Catra has worked through her physical disadvantage and a childhood of trauma? These thoughts consume you until you get your ration bar, too spent to care if it's brown today.

Adora and Catra catch up to you as you are finishing your ration bar. Noting the color, Catra grumbles, "Brown? I did not work my butt off today for a brown ration bar." You roll your eyes as they leave to get their food. You finish, not bothering to wait for them and not keen on hearing Catra gloat.