02

The tall boy scowls, his deathly gaze scanning the room before stopping on Mr.Park.

Boy: What is the meaning of this?
Mr.Park: Seonghwa show some respect.

The boy scoffs.

Seonghwa: Why the hell did you drag me to the other side of town? I was in the middle of something.
Mr.Park: You know that thing I talked to you about last month?
Seonghwa: That thing I said I wasn't doing?
Mr.Park: Oh but you are. Seonghwa this is Nia, your wife.

It feels like I'm being punk'd. Ashton Kutcher is going to hop out for that 'gotcha' moment any time now. I look at my mom whose too busy staring at the ground.

Me: I-I don't understand.
Dad: Five years, you two will be happily married. I plan on going after a big business but I can't do that without Mr.Park.

I can't believe what I'm hearing right now.

Mr.Park: It's give and take. Having your dad around makes the heat ease up off of me. Having me around protects your dad's company, everyone wins.
Me: But why marriage?

They both chuckle.

Mr.Park: It's like insurance, not to mention once other moguls see a heir and heiress married the money will come in.
Me: Is money the important thing here?

My dad rolls his eyes.

Dad: Money gave you a dream life did it not? I asked nothing of you over the years, now that I need one favor you're being selfish. Think of the family and our future.
Me: What about my future?
Dad: You don't have one without me!

I wipe the tears that's threatening to spill. Mr.Park looks at his son whose equally as pissed as me, he doesn't say anything.

Mr.Park: I have the paperwork, but in a month a real wedding will need to happen. It needs to look believable.
Seonghwa: This is low, even for you old man.
Mr.Park: Regardless you'll be at that alter.

He pulls out a black box revealing two engagement rings.

Mr.Park: Put them on.

I feel sick, utterly betrayed. The fact my mother is staying silent is pushing me over the edge. But what can she say? She's in the same boat as me, over the years she's done nothing but enjoy his money.

Mr.Park: Say hello to your wife son.
Seonghwa: Piss off.
Dad: Sign these.

A contract?

__

I sit on my bed staring at the wall. This weekend I go to visit "my" house that'll be sharing with Seonghwa. What even is this? It doesn't feel real.

My mom walks into my room closing the door behind her. She takes a seat next to me and I say nothing.

Mom: I'm sorry.

Yes you are.

Mom: A year ago your dad came up with this plan, he wouldn't listen to a word I said.
Me: I'll run away.
Mom: Park corp will find you in a heartbeat there's no use. You also signed that contract.

Signing any contract with my dad is a fate worse than death, growing up I seen it first hand. My mom wipes my tears before sighing.

Mom: It's not much I can say to you, but you'll get through this.
Me: I was sold.
Mom: An arranged married is never easy, trust me I know.

Everything she's saying is going in one ear and out the other.

Mom: Do you know what Park Corp does?
Me: They own hotels and malls.

She nods.

Mom: That's just a mask, a cover up.
Me: Huh?

I turn to her finally looking at her guilt ridden face.

Mom: They're the mafia.

___

goodnight <3