022

It's raining.

When we were younger Mingi had a pet bunny, it died and on its funeral it rained. We sat in the yard for hours crying over the small pet. My mom came to get us saying we'd catch a cold if we stayed outside any longer.

She made us vegetable soup and reassured Mingi that when it rains during the day of someone's funeral their soul is at peace and they can finally move on to the next life.

There was no proof to back up that claim but it soothed our young broken souls, and even now it's soothing me.

Mingi comes outside and stands next to me.

Mingi: It's raining.
Me: Yeah.

A small breeze blows past us and I smile.

Mingi: My parents said they apologize they couldn't be here but send their love.
Me: I appreciate it, thank you.

He nods.

Mingi: You get married in three days.
Me: And she was so happy about it, it's like she completely ignored it being fake.
Mingi: Moms love to see their daughters with handsome men.

I chuckle.

Me: No arranged marriage for you?
Mingi: Absolutely not my parents know I would throw myself off a cliff before that ever happens. Besides, as I recall I'm already married.

My eyebrows furrow.

Mingi: Our ring pops.
Me: By the oak tree?

He smiles.

Me: Ah, now I have to break the news to Seonghwa.
Mingi: Don't do it, I rather not die today.

We stare up at the fluffy rain clouds.

"Time to go!"

We turn around and Yeosang smiles sadly.

__

Once we go back to Wooyoung's place I just go in my room for some quiet time. The more things progress the more it seems like my dad is the one to fear. It's obvious there's more to the story but he isn't going to say anything.

I change out of my dress into something more comfortable. Someone knocks at the door and I open it to see milk pudding right in front of my face.

Seonghwa: I went to the store and figured you'd want some.

I squint, when did he do that? Regardless I smile at the kind gesture.

Me: Thank you.
Seonghwa: How are you?
Me: It still hasn't set in for me.
Seonghwa: Come with me.

Oddly I follow him downstairs and into the backyard, it's huge; nothing but open field.

Seonghwa: He isn't here a lot so he never bothered to put anything back here.

My eyes widen as Seonghwa sits down in his suit, he's going to get grass stains. He tilts his head next to him and I sit down.

Seonghwa: After we get married my dad is sending us off to Hong Kong for a few days.
Me: A honeymoon?

He nods.

Me: Oh God.
Seonghwa: When we get back we have to act like nothing is wrong, we have to be normal. If that makes sense, the death of a CEO's wife and the wedding of his daughter is a lot in one week. Then when enemies find out I'm your husband they'll take a step back and just watch.

So there will be eyes on us all the time? Great.

Seonghwa: The university you applied for Suzy goes there so you won't be alone.
Me: What about you?
Seonghwa: I'll continue my normal, business meetings and a bunch of boring things. My point is I don't want what you went through at Mingi's to ever happen again. You aren't a killer so I don't want you bearing that kind of pain.

My eyes widen.

It's not often when he speaks so honest and freely to me. When he does I'm always shocked.

Me: What about you?
Seonghwa: Huh?
Me: Are you a killer?
Seonghwa: I think you know that answer.

I shake my head.

Me: I thought I did but now I'm not sure. Just because you live a certain life doesn't mean you like it or agree with it. Sometimes you were forced to.

He stares at me, before sighing.

Seonghwa: I'm the kind of person that I would warn you to stay away from if we were friends.
Me: I don't believe it.

I look over at him and freeze, it's like a totally different person appeared. His demeanor colder, his eyes empty.

Seonghwa: Try me.

__