021

Seonghwa and the guys takes me to the hideout my dad is staying in. We walk in and there's plenty of security all over the place, my dad sits on the couch with his head in his hands. He looks up and his eyes widen when he sees me.

Dad: Nia!

He goes to hug me but I stop him.

Me: What happened?
Dad: We were having a quiet night at home and then heard gunshots, it was a drive by.
Me: For you?
Dad: I suppose.
Me: She died because of you?

His eyes fill with irritation. I know he's mourning just as much as me, but he doesn't get to pity himself out of this situation.

Me: Dad what did you do?
Dad: Nia now is not the time to ask me dumb questions like that.
Seonghwa: It isn't dumb, it's a very valid question. Especially when Nia was attacked today as well.
Dad: Attacked? Aren't you suppose to be protecting her!
Seonghwa: We do what we can, but it's a bit inconvenient when you have many enemies.
Dad: Then what good are you?

I sigh.

Seonghwa: You're starting to piss me off old man. You need to tell us the entire truth.
Dad: I have many enemies, that's true. There's not one business man that hasn't used others to climb their way up. I may have stepped on some people, gave them a bad impression of me but oh well. It was for the sake of success.

The sake of success, huh?

Dad: It's nothing deeper than that. Jealousy makes people do some crazy things.

I'm annoyed, I'm irritated, I don't like being lied to. But it's obvious he's never going to be honest, he's not trustworthy. As if Seonghwa is thinking the same he grabs my arm tugging me away.

Seonghwa: When's the funeral?
Dad: There won't be one. She'll be cremated and we'll have a small memorial, you're wedding is coming soon.

My eyes fill with horror.

Me: Cremated!
Dad: Nia don't make this harder than it is.
Me: You're going to put a fake wedding before your dead wife?

He gets angry and raises a hand to hit me, before he can Mingi points a gun at his temple and Seonghwa grabs his hand.

Seonghwa: Relax Mr. Jeon.

All the security guards have their weapon drawn at us.

Seonghwa: We're leaving.
Dad: The memorial is Tuesday at eleven.

Seonghwa drags me away, complete anger takes over me.

Seonghwa: Nia.
Me: What?
Seonghwa: I'm sorry for your loss, we'll get to the bottom of it.

My eyes widen, he may not have known it but that simple sentence was enough to calm me down for the moment. San sighs as we get into the van.

San: He sure is useless.
Hongjoong: We knew he was full of shit but now it's confirmed. All this bankruptcies weren't a coincidence.
Seonghwa: Exactly, I need to see if my dad knows about this.

We begin to drive back to Wooyoung's house.

Mom, I'm sorry.

___

Seonghwa's point of view

My dad paces back and forth, he's just as confused as me.

Dad: He's a sly son of a bitch isn't he? If that file we seen was fake, who exactly is Nia?

He runs a hand through his hair.

Dad: This is chess not checkers, he has me cornered and I don't like it.
Me: He's lied about everything so in reality we know nothing.
Dad: We need to get into his building, not now though. The trust is kind of shaky between you two right now. After the wedding and honeymoon.

My eyes widen.

Me: Honeymoon!
Dad: After the announcement of you marrying her people will calm down with coming after him, that's the break we both need. More time to think before I next move, these attacks back to back are a bit much. Not to mention, Nia has been a victim one too many times.

That's true.

Me: Was the honeymoon necessary though?
Dad: It has to be believable Hwa.

I sigh rubbing my temples, he places a hand on my shoulder.

Dad: I never apologized.
Me: For what?
Dad: Getting you involved in this kind of lifestyle. I never wanted to but after that day..-

I stopped him.

Me: Life isn't always in our control.

He smiles but it doesn't reach his eyes.

___

i just love coffee so much ☕️