Valentine's Day

A month had gone by and no word from Eric. You stayed at home most of the time, Mia didn't seem to notice though, since she was busy with Brayden. It hurt most that you couldn't even tell your best friend about how much pain you were in, but you knew it was for the best. When you did hang out with Mia though you would ask her to come over to your house or offer to go to a coffee shop, you weren't ready to face Eric yet. He seemed to disappear from school as well, the only class you saw him in was psychology, although he had moved seats with someone, claiming he couldn't read the board, you knew why, it was probably for the better anyway. 

"Are you doing anything tomorrow?" Your dad chirped up.

"Probably just studying." You answered. Recently all you did was sit around and study.

"Not going to hang out with Mia?"

"She's with Brayden, they're doing some horse ride thing for Valentine's." You replied annoyed, you stood up and grabbed your books to head to your room.

"I know I shouldn't say anything but I really think Eric-"

"Then don't say anything." You closed your door and fell onto your bed. You inhaled deeply and wondered if you should text him. But you didn't want him to think of you as desperate for someone since Valentine's Day was tomorrow. You closed your eyes and thought back to that night. "Stupid, stupid, STUPID!" You yelled at yourself. You got up from your bed and grabbed a small glass vase Eric had given to you which would hold flowers he got for you. You threw it across the room and it exploded against the wall, the glass fell across the floor and your dad came rushing in.

"Are you okay?" He asked, worried.

"I'm going for a walk." You moved past him swiftly without turning back to see the expression on his face. You knew he was worried about you but you didn't have enough energy to care. 

As you walked down the street you began to realize how cold it was, even in February. You thought back to when Eric gave you his jacket once when you were cold, but you fought off the memory. Without even thinking you were now across the street from Eric and Mia's house. You couldn't see in because they had closed the blinds but you could tell they were most likely at the dinner table. You looked down at your shoes embarrassed and slowly felt your legs give in until you were sitting on the cement. 

"Where'd we go wrong?" You felt warm tears fall down your cold face as your body began to shake. Soon the tears turned to sobs and you couldn't stop your violent shaking and gasps for breath. Part of you wanted to storm into their house and tell him how much you love him but the other part of you wanted to walk into the middle of the road and hope for a car to see you too late.

After about ten minutes you heard someone call out your name. You put your hands over your ears and pretended to ignore the calls. 

"Y/N!" As the voice grew louder you recognized it as your father's and looked up. It seemed as if he had run to find you. He looked down into your eyes and noticed how puffy they were. "Come on let's go home. We can do something together for Valentine's instead, how would that be?" You knew he was trying and you were too tired to be bitter.

"Okay." You nodded as he helped you up and you two walked home together in silence.