Dance With Me

Friday had finally arrived, you picked up your night bag which you had packed the day before, and started off to school.

It was a dark and stormy morning, you hated the rain because it always reminded you of the day your mother had died. You could still remember sitting in her hospital room holding her hand as the rain poured down, you held onto her hand until she no longer held back. You quickly shook the memory from your mind and ran to your car.

After school got out you, Mya, Emily, Sarah, and Oliver (who was only able to sleepover because he was gay) drove to Mya's house to finish homecoming plans. You set out the plans and started finalizing them, you all decided the theme would be 1920s masquerade with black and gold accents, you were sent to work on the dance playlist.

"What about 'Midnight, The Stars and You'?" You asked for the slow song, Eric walked out of his room to the kitchen at the same time.

"I think it's perfect." He flashed a smile at you and your heart melted, you felt like no one else in the world existed except the two of you.

"I don't know isn't that song from The Shining? Might be a bit creepy." Oliver said.

"Oh umm." Your mind had gone blank once Eric entered the room causing you to scramble for words. "I think so yes but what do you guys think? I can find a different one." You looked back to where Eric was standing but he was already walking back to his room, although he hadn't grabbed anything from the kitchen.

"I think it's fine, I doubt anyone would even know that." Sarah chimed in.

"What if people don't like it because they don't know it," Emily added.

"So yes or no?" You asked again.

"I say yes," Mya said. Everyone else nodded in agreement.

After your group had finished finalizing the plans and emailing them to your advisor everyone began going to bed. You looked at your phone and noticed it was already midnight.

Everyone had laid down and gone to bed on Mya's bedroom floor but you couldn't fall asleep as the rain got harder.

You waited about an hour for sleep to come but nothing was working, you decided to head to the kitchen so you could get some water to settle your nerves.

As you walked into the kitchen you noticed the TV was on, you walked over thinking someone had forgotten to turn it off but discovered Eric sitting on the floor.

"Eric?" You whispered, he whipped around so fast you thought his neck would break.

"Jesus, you scared me." He said with one of his hands clutched closely to his chest.

"Sorry." You said. "Why are you up?" You sat down next to him, he was playing a zombie video game but had put it on pause to talk to you.

"It's silly I guess." A light smile on his face. "I've just always been scared of storms."

"Not silly at all." You reassured him.

"Why are you up?" He asked raising his eyes to yours.

"The day my mom died there was a big storm and I guess storms like these remind me of her."

"I'm sorry, mine was so stupid you should have told me." Eric apologized.

"Eric, I'm okay, and I think it's cute that you're scared of rain."

"But mostly thunder." He corrected you. You pushed against his arm and giggled. "Wanna play?" He asked you, holding out the remote for you.

"I have no idea how but sure." You took the controller and he quickly explained the game to you. After he had told you everything to know about the game you pressed play.

You played until Eric started fearing you were better than him on your first try and searched for another controller to play with you.

You two played together until the last level, your health was low but you couldn't die when you were this far.

You were closing in on the final boss zombie when thunder boomed over you. You dropped your controller and jumped into Eric's arms.

You shoved your face into him while you heard the zombie eat you. Eric quickly dropped his controller and grabbed you. He waited a minute and then spoke.

"Are you okay?" He asked you. You shook your head no but didn't leave his grasp. After a few minutes, he was the one who pulled away from you.

You opened your mouth to quickly apologize but he began talking. "What if we go out in the rain." You looked at him, tilting your head. "We can both face our fears, together."

"I don't know-" You began.

"It's okay, I'll make sure you're alright and if you don't like it we can just go back inside."

"Okay." You said softly, still frazzled by the thunder. He stood up and reached his hand out for you, you took it and started walking to the back door. You had your arm wrapped around Eric's as you occasionally flinched at the lightning.

You both walked out and got soaked by the rain. You stood looking out into the darkness letting the rain fall on you.

"Do you want to dance?" You asked, Eric looked at you confused.

"What do you mean?" He asked.

You took out your phone and put a playlist on shuffle. You grabbed his hands and jumped around, lightly singing the words to popular songs but never letting go of Eric. You two danced in the rain never wanting to forget that exact moment, it was perfect, he was perfect.

A slow song began playing from your phone and you stopped for a second not sure what to do, you hadn't remembered even putting 'It's All Forgotten Now' into the playlist but you decided against wasting a good song.

"Care to dance madam?" You asked Eric while laughing, you held out your hand and did a curtsy.

"Why thank you, kind sir." He took your hand and held it out to the side while he slid his other hand around your waist, dangerously close to your ass, it sent shivers down your spine but you continued to put your other hand around his neck.

You rested your head against his shoulder, you were tired and sad but he made it better.

"Why'd you reject Aiden?" Eric asked you while you swayed back and forth. You took your head from Eric's chest and looked into his eyes, you wanted to tell him how you felt but you couldn't muster the words. Your brain raced to try and find the words to tell him but you came up empty.

"I-I like someone else, but I'm too scared to tell them. I mean he's just so perfect, he's smart, funny, kind, supportive, I feel like he would never like me ba-" You hitched your breath as Eric pulled you close to him. Your clothes hung tightly against your bodies, your chest heaved heavily up and down, you felt him pressed against you as both of your hearts raced.

Your body was filled with electricity, ready to kiss him, you knew he wanted to too. You were only inches from his mouth when you heard a loud boom overhead and jumped, ruining the moment.

You wrapped your hands around his waist tightly, slightly shaking, you heard the song slowly fade out and knew you had missed your chance.

Every inch of your body screamed at you to kiss him but you couldn't bring yourself to do it, you stared at Eric both of you frozen in the moment not knowing what to do.

"We should umm," You hesitated for a moment. "We should go inside and dry off, I'm pretty tired anyway." He nodded his head and walked you in. You didn't talk much, you didn't know what to say or where to start.

You both walked back to your rooms, luckily Eric's was right across from Mya's. You stopped thinking of something to say but you couldn't think of anything else to say besides "I like you, now come over here and kiss me." All you wanted was to kiss him until you couldn't anymore, your body craved him.

"Goodnight." Eric turned and closed his door before you could say anything back.

"Goodnight." You whispered hoping he would hear it. You walked back into Mya's room still wet, your head wrapped around Eric and what would have happened if you had kissed him.

You slowly let yourself drift off to bed while you laid on the floor alone in your soaked clothes.