Chapter 2: The Day Before Tomorrow

"Do you...feel...guilty about our plan?" I cautiously ventured, twisting the silver ring Artemis had given me so long ago.

"Guilty?" Luke glanced down. "Normally, I would have killed someone for asking that question."

He paused. "But you..."

"It's okay, I get it," I said, rising from my seat and sitting next to him. "You don't have to say anything anymore."

Luke sighed, entwining his hand with mine. "You should go to sleep. It's already midnight. Besides, we're going to pick up Ally tomorrow, and you're going to need all the energy you have to explain everything that happened since August."

I groaned. "Don't get me started on Ally. She's been IM-ing me non-stop for the past week."

Luke grinned. "I know. Trouble is headed your way."

I squeezed his hand and stood up. "You too, okay? I'm not going anywhere." I gently brushed my hand down the side of his face, right over his scar, and lightly kissed him on the lips when he flinched. "Good night, Luke."

"Night, Ri," Luke replied softly as I walked towards the door. "See you tomorrow."

I nodded, schooled my face into cold indifference, and opened the door. "If I catch you sleeping on guard, I'm going to skin you alive and make coats from your hide," I warned Agrius and Orieus as I closed the door behind me with a click. "Keep him safe. For our Lord."

"Yes, master," Agrius said, bowing again. He jammed his elbow into his brother's side. "You moron," he hissed. "What are you doing?"

Oreius gulped and hastily bowed to me as well, and I nodded in satisfaction before stalking down the hallway towards my cabin.

I waved my hand at the empty crossed torches on my door and they burst into flames, lighting up the dim hallway. I glanced back behind me. Luke's cabin was just around the corner and was well-within hearing distance. I quickly opened my cabin door and locked it before collapsing to the floor right behind the door.

A low purr/growling rumble echoed through my cabin and I smiled softly, waving my hand again to light the torches in my room. "Avalanche."

My wolf padded towards me and licked me on the face before curling up beside me in comfort.

I sighed, running my fingers through her soft fur. It was getting harder every day to keep up my facade. Not in front of the army, since the monsters practically cowered in fear every time I walked past and the demigods trusted me completely (except for my brother), but Luke.

Today was June third. It had been almost a year since I'd arrived on the Andromeda and clawed my way up the ranks. Almost a year since I'd met Luke. A year since I'd slipped my mask on. And the mask was one that was slowly starting to crumble.

I no longer knew up and down, only forward and back. I only knew that I had to keep going, to bury Clarianna and become Rianna, to keep fighting, for Percy and everyone I'd left behind at camp, but the line between Luke and myself was blurring. We weren't dating anymore-I'd broken up with him the day we'd arrived because Luke couldn't afford Kronos thinking that he'd found someone and a purpose other than serving him, and I couldn't afford favour for simply being his girlfriend-but that hadn't stopped him.

And it hadn't stopped him from slowly worming his way into my heart. I knew that he was the enemy, that they were all my enemies, but...I was no longer indifferent to him. 

Pull yourself together for goodness sake, I scolded myself. He's still the enemy, even if he's an enemy that's sweet, handsome, and someone who loves you. NOT HELPING, I reminded myself. 

What is wrong with you?

"Argh," I muttered, closing my eyes and leaning my head against the door. "Avalanche, why does life have to be so complicated?"

Avalanche didn't respond, just snuggled closer to me, and I sighed. "Thanks, girl. You, and Blackfire, are the only things tethering me to reality."

I shook my head before pushing myself up and collapsing on my bed. I need to go to sleep. Tomorrow is going to be a big day.

"Lights out," I said, snapping my fingers, and the flames flickered once, twice, before dying out and plunging my cabin into darkness, much like the one I was spiralling into. 

***
Thanks for reading and don't forget to vote, comment, and follow for updates and announcements!