Chapter 15: Flight Pt.1

"Oh, perfect timing," Luke said, his gaze on the four as Nicole and I climbed over the railing of the ship, not bothering to take the ladder through the rear.

I glanced around at the gathered crowd of demigods and the hungry gazes of the monsters and forced myself to smile as I stepped forward. "Wouldn't miss it for the entire world." 

"So, Percy," Luke continued, prodding them with his sword. "Where's the fleece?" 

"Not here," Percy said, a hint of triumph in his voice. He raised his head to glare at Luke defiantly. "We sent it ahead of us." 

"Liar," Luke hissed, his eyes narrowing. "There's no way . . .  Clarisse?" 

Percy, the idiot, smirked, his green eyes flashing. "Yep." 

I turned my head to the side, stifling a laugh as Luke's face reddened. "You . . . . you trusted . . . you gave it . . . . " 

I could tell Nicole was a split second away from cracking up as Percy's grin grew even wider. "Yeah." 

Not for long though. I could tell Luke was right about to lose it.

"Agrius," I called, stepping forward, feeling Grover's and Annabeth's eyes flash towards me. Percy didn't spare me a glance, though his smirk faltered a bit. 

"Y-yes?" Agrius said, taking a small step back from me as I approached Luke. 

"Rianna?" Grover said at the same time, his pupils dilating in shock. "Blaha-ha-ha, what are you doing here?" 

I rolled my eyes, schooling my features into an expression of mild annoyance. "What do you think? Agrius! Fetch the boss's steed! Bring it up. We need to get to the Miami Airport. ASAP." 

"But-" 

"Do it!" Luke snarled, whirling around to face him. "Now! Or I'll feed you to the drakon!" 

"You heard him," I said coldly as Agrius gulped and lumbered down the stairs as fast as his feet could carry him. 

"Keep it together," I hissed softly to Luke as he placed in front of the swimming pool, his knuckles white around the hilt of his sword. "Luke!" 

"Not now, Rianna!" Luke said, ignoring me. "Besides, what were you doing the entire time? Couldn't you have intercepted them?" 

"How was I supposed to know what the fleece looked like?" I sputtered, purposefully raising my tone in offence. "Besides, how do you expect me to deal with three demigods, a satyr with magical nature powers, and a bloody cyclops? In the middle of a sea of people?" 

Luke ignored me, still cursing in Ancient Greek. "I'll deal with you later. And you, Nicole," he added, glaring at my captain who was standing in shock next to Alabaster, who was also staring at Luke, wide-eyed. Nicole opened her mouth, but I shook my head at her, warning her to keep her mouth shut. Now was not the time. I could tell everyone was already uneasy and tense from Luke's agitation, and a quick glance at the rest of the demigods gathered at the side confirmed it. 

I couldn't fault them though. I was feeling a bit apprehensive myself. And not just from the promised hell to come after. Being first lieutenant wasn't going to exempt me from Luke's ire. Well, more like Kronos'. 

Luke was clearly losing it. He needed the fleece to bring Kronos back, but . . . did his servitude really run so strong that he couldn't even remain calm in front of the enemy? 

Where had that mask of indifference gone? If bringing Kronos back really meant so much to him, did I even have any chance of reaching through and pulling him out of the titan of time's clutches?