Chapter 1: The Day Before Tomorrow

I leaned over the railing on the Andromeda and closed my eyes, letting the cool air and mist thrown up from the waves whip my face and run through my hair.

Life on the ship was horrible. Well, no, not really, in terms of living, etc, but the company was horrible. Not only were there zombified humans on it, but the plethora of monsters and demons roaming the decks also made me deeply uncomfortable. At least they were all below decks while the demigods were above in the lounges. But still.

Demigods. I rubbed my fingers against my head tiredly. There were at least another two dozen demigods here with us. It wasn't good news. Ten percent of the time we stopped and ventured inland, we came back with demigods. It didn't seem like a high percentage, but it added up. More than a dozen demigods had joined since last August, and the numbers just kept climbing.

I pinched my nose in frustration and blew out a sigh. It couldn't be helped. There were hundreds of demigods who had been left alone and unclaimed by their godly parent for years, and most of them were understandably bitter.

"Rianna," a voice called from the edge of the deck.

"What do you want, Alabaster?" I replied, still staring out over the water. I heard his footsteps approach me and then his brown hair appeared in my vision as he leaned over the railing and peered at the sea rushing below and the frothing waves.

"Luke wants to talk to you," he replied flatly.

I nodded and pushed myself off the railing, "Okay. Thanks for informing me." I started walking towards Luke's chambers before pausing. "You should get to bed. It's approaching midnight."

Alabaster snorted. "I don't need you to look out for me. I was fine before you walked into my life, sister."

"Fine. Do as you please." I left without a backward glance and entered the looming darkness of the hallways, walking towards Luke's cabin.

I sighed mentally. Who knew that having a sibling would be so troublesome? I mean, yeah, sure, I can get it when you suddenly have an older sister walk into your life out of nowhere with stronger abilities and powers. It's the old sibling rivalry and competitiveness, and to top it off, she also steals the top position of first lieutenant under Luke's rule. I get it.

But, he's also the largest threat to my security. At this point, nearly a year since I've infiltrated the army, he's the only one that's still suspicious of me.

I shoved my doubts deep inside, nodded to a couple of demigods still out and about at this time, and turned the final corner to Luke's private chambers.

"Agrius, Oreius," I said, acknowledging the bear-twins that stood guard outside Luke's private chambers.

They bowed their heads to me in deference and stepped aside, clearing my path to the polished oak door that loomed in front of me. I stared at the sliver of light that glowed beneath the door for a split second and knocked twice.

"Come in, Ri," Luke called.

I took a deep breath and carefully pushed the door open. Luke was staring out the glass window at the dark sea below, his back to me. "Luke. You summoned me?"

Luke nodded and turned around, his blue eyes piercing mine. "Close the door."

I hesitated before slowly reaching behind me towards the brass doorknob, and closed it with a click.

As soon as the door closed, Luke practically launched himself towards me and wrapped me up in a hug, "I missed you so much," he mumbled.

I held him close and leaned my head against his chest, listening to the comforting beat of his heart. "It's only been a couple of days."