Chapter 42: God-given Headaches

Grimacing as the window let out a loud creak, I quietly latched it shut and sighed, plopping down onto the bean bag in the corner of my cabin. "Let's see, what excuse shall I come up with to leave the goddamn ship for a whole night?"

Footsteps sounded down the hallway outside my door, a sound I knew all too well, and I barely had time to grab a random book off the shelf behind me, flick open my lamp, and flip to a random page before the sound of knocking echoed on the door.

"Rianna?"

"What?" I said flatly, keeping my voice disinterested and forcibly trying to calm my heart down. Who knew what could have happened if I'd been just another minute late?

"Are you awake?"

"Well, I'm talking to you now, aren't I?" I said. "Come in."

Luke poked his head slowly around the door, his mouth opening to say something, but then saw the pointed look I levelled at him over the top of my book and flinched. "Sorry. I'll go."

I heaved a sigh, making a big show of slowly closing my book and setting it on the table as I stood up. "You're already here. So what were you going to tell me? And how's the situation on the mountain?"

"One, I took care of it. Two, I came in to check up on you because I knew you wouldn't be sleeping. Something you should be doing," he added.

"I tried. Couldn't fall asleep. Not after . . . you know," I finished lamely.

"You could just make yourself a sleeping draught," Luke pointed out.

"Yeah, well, it wouldn't stop any immortals from visiting me."

His mouth opened in an "oh" and he nodded understandingly. "You know I'm always here, right?"

"Yeah. Yeah, I know," I muttered, turning towards the window. "Thanks."

I watched the waves shimmer, the starlight glimmering as they rose and fell in a comforting, steading rhythm, each crest and dip followed by a whoosh and exhale. Kinda like . . . wingbeats. Just then, an idea flashed into my head and I smiled slowly. "Hey, do you think . . ."

"What?" Luke asked, though he made no move to step past the doorway.

"Do you think it would be possible for me to go on a flight tonight?"

"Well, if it's between you reading all night or going out on a flight just to avoid a conversation with Koios, I'd rather you go out."

"I love you," I grinned, though my smile fell as I thought about what was waiting for him. "You could come."

But Luke was already shaking his head, the way I knew he would. "You're lucky to be second in command, Ri. We both know he's waiting for me."

I sighed. "Yeah. I'm sorry, I'd go in your stead if I could-"

"But you can't," he finished, meeting my gaze. "It's okay," he added softly. "We made our decision a long time ago."

"I'll see you tomorrow morning for the debrief, then," I whispered, and walked over to him, leaning forward to lightly kiss him. "Good luck. You'll need it."

Luke smiled briefly before turning and heading down the hall into his cabin, which clicked shut with an ominous sound. I sighed, wishing that I could join him to spare the full force of Kronos anger, but that would be impossible without him finding out who I was.

You have bigger things to worry about, I reminded myself as I stepped on deck and whistled for my pegasus. Namely, the god whose head is filled with nothing but thunder clouds.