Chapter 19: Council Meeting Pt. 2

"You've got to be kidding me," I said, staring at Artemis as I realized just what exactly Luke, or, rather, Kronos, was planning to do. "He wants us to release Atlas?"

"He's the greatest titan general that Kronos has," Artemis said somewhat reluctantly. "It makes sense."

"Yeah, but who the heck in their right mind would willingly take the sky for him? I don't think anyone loves him enough to do that," I said sarcastically. "Because I sure as hell wouldn't."

Aphrodite snorted contemptuously. "Love? More like force. Who could he threaten enough, more like."

"It won't be anyone of importance," Athena said thoughtfully. "So we can rule out all immortals. Most mortals would be unable to sustain such a burden, even if they were demigods. At least, not for a prolonged period."

I furrowed my brows, trying to understand just what was going on in Kronos' head. None of this made sense. Unless another immortal was willing to take the burden for Atlas, how would they release him? "I mean, I'm pretty sure there would be immortals that would take the sky if Kronos commanded it," I said doubtfully. "Since they serve him and all. And it's not like he wouldn't hesitate to do that if it means getting his best general back."

Athena sighed. "There's no point debating about that now. We don't know how they will succeed in releasing Atlas, but we do know that they will try. So the important thing now is to make sure they don't succeed."

"Great," Ares drawled, leaning back in his seat in boredom. "We have a plan. Clarianna can take care of it. So am I allowed to leave? I have things to kill."

"Excuse me?" I snapped, glaring at him. "Why in the name of Zeus do I have to work my butt off while you go around murdering people? Shouldn't you of all people - sorry, gods, be responsible for Atlas? He's their greatest general, and aren't you the war god? It's your responsibility to bash their general in, isn't it?"

"Watch your tongue," Ares glowered, his eyes flickering as he stood up. "Just because you're you doesn't mean I won't hesitate to turn you into a pig."

"Right. A pig. Like the one that you tried to kill Percy with last year. It didn't go so well, did it?"

I sidestepped as Ares snarled, throwing a knife at me. It whizzed past my ear, lodging itself harmlessly into a pillar behind me. "You missed," I said sweetly.

"Enough!" Zeus thundered, slamming his hand on the arm of his chair. "Ares, behave yourself."

Ares grumbled something I pretended to ignore and sat down.

"And you," Zeus continued, staring at me. I fought the urge to flinch. "That is more than enough."

"Cut the girl some slack," Athena muttered, crossing her arms. "Because of Ares, might I remind you, we almost lost your master bolt to the titans."

"Can we please focus on the matter at hand?" Artemis interjected before Zeus could say anything. "It's been over an hour, and Clari still has to return before she raises any suspicions."

"Oh yeah," I muttered, my mind immediately returning to the Andromeda where Luke was no doubt pacing around the deck anxiously. "I do have stuff to do."

Zeus sighed. "Well, as it seems like we're not getting any further than where we are today, I suppose you may leave. Remember to keep us up to date, and be careful."

I nodded.

"Meeting adjourned."

At those words, Ares, Dionysus, Demeter, Hephaestus, Hera, and Zeus disappeared. Aphrodite winked at me suggestively before disappearing in a shower of pink as well. I grimaced slightly, pushing the knowing smile she'd shot me to the back of my mind. At least she hadn't asked me to join her for a private conversation.

"If anything were to stay the same, it'd be the fact that council meetings are always a waste of time," Artemis sighed, standing up and dusting off her silver tunic after everyone who was going to leave had left. "Again, we make no progress."

"I wouldn't call it no progress," Athena replied. "At least we know the general step that Kronos is making."

I glanced at Artemis, Apollo, Athena, Poseidon, and Hermes, who were still here, all staring at me. "All of you want a private word?" I asked in disbelief.

Apollo glanced at everyone and grinned. "Well, I did, but since it seems like everyone does as well, I suppose I will leave. It's not of great importance, and since my baby sister seems to need it more than I do, I'll let her have it."

"For the last time, we're twins," Artemis muttered, but it fell on deaf ears.

"Se ya, Clari," Apollo said, shooting me one last grin and I returned it, my smile genuine, and he vanished in a flash of golden light.

"My sentiments were the same," Athena said, rising from her seat as well. "It can wait. Good luck Clari." 

"Wai-," I started, but it was too late. Athena disappeared as well and the question I'd wanted to ask died on my lips. "Nevermind," I sighed to myself. "It can wait." 

Well, actually, it couldn't, but what could I do? 

"Just," Poseidon started as soon as the goddess of wisdom left, looking uncomfortable as he shifted in his fishing seat, "just . . . watch over Percy, alright?"

"Yeah, I get it," I nodded, reading the silent message in the sea god's green eyes. "I'll try."

Poseidon blinked at me, nodding his head almost imperceptible in thanks, and he too disappeared in a shower of light, leaving behind the faint trace of the salty sea.

"Who's next?"

"I'll speak with you later," Hermes said quickly, picking up his caduceus. The air rippled around him and he vanished, leaving me alone with Artemis.

"I just wanted to warn you," Artemis said, fixing her silver gaze on me. "Atlas is dangerous. You must be very careful around him. Do not drop your guard. It's not the same as being around other demigods," she warned as I opened my mouth to tell her I knew that already. "I'm serious. I know you're capable and you've been very careful so far, but you must keep your guard up at all times. Not only is he the second strongest titan, but he's also a sadistic and conniving bastard. He's a complete psychopath, and having to hold up the sky for millennia has not helped at all. You have to watch yourself. Tread carefully."

I nodded, tucking away the information. "Okay. But, from what you've said, he's an arrogant bastard as well, is he not?"

"Well, yes," Artemis sighed.

"So I'd be able to exploit that," I pointed out. "Don't worry, I'll be careful," I added as a flash of worry passed over her face. "Don't worry."

"Ha, how could I not?" Artemis sighed, smiling slightly at me. "But alright. You do what you do best. Good luck."

She smiled at me again before disappearing in a flash of silver, leaving me alone in the empty throne room. 

Silence.  

Once again, I'd be leaving empty-handed from Olympus. I sighed. "Honestly, I shouldn't have been expecting much," I muttered. "These meetings were always a waste of time anyway." 

It just frustrated me that I hadn't gotten the chance to confront Zeus, Athena, or any of the other gods about that safehouse Alabaster had told me about which had been destroyed three years ago. 

***

Thank you for all your support and for sticking with me for so long! I hope you enjoyed this chapter (I know, it's been such a long time since Clari's been to Olympus ;)) and please vote, comment, and share if you did! 

And, for those of you who have summer break right now, how's it been going so far?