Prologue

All was silent on Olympus save for the flickering flames of the braziers that burned brightly in the night, warding off the darkness. Hecate sighed as she strolled through the courtyard, wondering how on Earth it had come to this.

Over the last month, ever since Koios had summoned her to his prison, his words had haunted her sleepless nights. "What have the Olympians ever done for you? After all you've done for them, still, they refuse you a seat in their mighty council, shun you as a minor god, only to call you back when they need your help. You make it sound like someone has your hands and feet tied."

Hecate shook her head to clear away his words. No. I may not have sworn on the Styx, but I will not abandon my daughter and the Olympians. They are not perfect, but they are, for sure, better than Kronos and you. A promise is a promise, and I will not be like the Olympians, who have left a trail of broken promises behind them. Besides, they did save Clarianna, even if it only prolonged her life.

"Hecate?"

Hecate spun around, her blond hair flying behind her, and turned to face the figure who emerged from the shadows of the flickering flames. "Athena? What are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same question," Athena replied drily. "Thinking about changing sides in the war?"

"Why do you ask that?" Hecate replied flatly. "You know I am indebted to you for saving Clari."

Athena sighed, falling beside Hecate. "Don't play games with me. I don't doubt that you'll keep your promise, but I can guess what you feel. Besides, I know about your visit to our grandfather," she wrinkled her nose, "a month ago."

Hecate sighed. "Yes, he has not given up trying to persuade me to join. My answer has not changed."

Athena nodded. "That's good." She hesitated. "I know you are unhappy about your situation and the rest of the minor gods, but you of all people should know that the balance of the world is critical, goddess of the crossroads. Not everyone and everything can be equal to each other. if there is no hierarchy, there is no balance."

Hecate nodded. "I know. This is why I have made my peace with this. I will keep my promise and fight with you."

"That's good to hear," a new voice interjected. "War is looming on the horizon. The boy may only be thirteen, but his forces are growing in strength every day. We are wasting too much time."

"Artemis," Athena acknowledged, her eyes shadowed. "Yes. We are wasting too much time. But father has forbidden us from discussing this issue. He foolishly hopes that the problem will resolve itself with time." She shook her head. "War is coming whether we like it or not. Even now, his plans are in motion."

"I fear for what may happen come next summer," Hecate murmured. "Even now, faint ripples through the Mist are giving me glimpses of catastrophe."

"My prophetic sight has told me nothing," Apollo quipped, emerging from the doorway from the throne room. "The oracle has been silent."

"Brother, what are you doing here?" Artemis said flatly. "I thought you were busy preparing yourself for your grand entrance into the sky that's due to happen in seven and a half hours."

"Wow, baby sis, you remembered when I rise today. I'm flattered. Though, not about the preparing part. Why would I, the sun god, need seven and a half hours of preparation when I'm already perfect?"

Hecate snorted. "Enough, you two. We are discussing a more than serious matter here. Stop before Lady Athena gets frustrated with your endless bickering."

Apollo sighed. "As for why I'm here, I couldn't help but see Hecate here wandering through the garden, so I came down to ask her about Clarianna. That is why you're here too, no?" he said, glancing at Artemis.