Chapter 34: The Bane of Olympus Pt. II

"I want to go search for this monster," I announced as I stalked into the room, my braid swinging behind me.

That certainly caused a disturbance. Atlas raised his head from where he was deep in conversation with Luke to stare at me intently, while Luke's head snapped towards me so fast he probably got whiplash.

"What?" they said in unison.

"I want to go look for the monster," I repeated. "I'd be of no use to you at the museum anyway. I might as well make myself useful and track it down."

"How would you even find it?" Atlas rumbled. "I haven't even told you what it is."

"I figured it out," I replied simply. Shock flashed across the titan's face, but before he could continue, I added, "And I can track it using aura detection."

"You can't go," Luke blurted as Atlas nodded thoughtfully.

"Why not?" I countered. "I don't need to be at the Smithsonian while you chase down the demigods. There are already enough soldiers with you. None of you know where the monster is anyways, so how would you get Thalia to sacrifice it if it's not even there?"

"She can call it," Luke retorted.

"Not if she doesn't even know what it is," I snapped back. "Please, General," I said, turning back to Atlas. "Let me go. I want to be of some use."

"Very well," Atlas said, shrugging. "You're right. We don't need you at the museum, and defence back here is tight enough. Do you need to bring any forces with you?"

"No, thank you," I replied. "I would be able to cover more distance by myself and avoid detection."

"Alright," Atlas said.

"But-" Luke started, only to be waved down by Atlas.

"Boy, let your lieutenant go. Don't worry about her."

There was an edge to his words, an underlying meaning that both of us caught, and Luke swallowed his protest and nodded. "Alright, be careful."

"I will," I replied, not looking at either of them as I bowed and left the room.

To no one's surprise, I heard footsteps behind me before I'd even cleared the ruins. "What?" I asked flatly as Luke skidded to a stop in front of me.

"Are you just trying to get away from me?" he asked, his blue eyes scanning my face intently.

I turned to stare at a craggy rock jutting up towards the grey sky. "And if I am?"

Silence. And then a huff as Luke sighed. "I wouldn't blame you if you were," he muttered. "This is my fault. I should have told you sooner."

"No," I snapped, whipping around to face him. "You shouldn't have agreed to it in the first place. You could have refused," I continued, glaring at him. "Heck, it's grumpy old Kronos we're talking about! It could have been any demigod. Anyone. But it just had to be you."

I didn't know where this sudden anger was coming from. All I knew was that there was still an aching hole inside me, and anything, even blazing heat, was better than numbness. And yeah, I knew I was being unreasonable, but I didn't care. Not when I looked at the boy standing in front of me, the boy I loved, and couldn't see anything but phantom golden eyes staring back at me, cold, ancient, unfeeling, and full of ancient malice.

"I'm going," I said flatly, turning away before Luke could reply. "I'm sorry, but I need some time to sort out . . . whatever this is."

"I didn't have a choice," Luke said. "You know that, right?"