chapter 38- reminiscence

pov: mark

"we're gonna die out here," arizona whispered.
"no we're not. you're gonna be fine and so will lexie and so will i. we're all gonna be fine!" i told everyone.
"you don't know that," meredith barked.
"known of us know anything. we were in a plane crash, with no medical supplies in sight and no people to help us!" cristina yelled. lexie shifted in my lap.
"why isn't she awake?" i asked cristina.

present- pov: mark

"why isn't she awake?" i asked amelia and cristina.
"her body isn't ready to wake up yet. she sustained a lot of injuries. especially to her heart..." cristina trailed off.
"she's not gonna wake up is she?" my voice broke. the room was silent. "oh... oh my god. she's really not gonna wake up? no!" i sobbed. "lex you can't do this to me. you can't do this to me. we're supposed to end up together remember? we're meant to be. we're meant to be..." i grabbed her hand and cried.
"uh- i need to go find meredith. she's gonna want to be here," cristina rushed out of the room.
"why did this happen? we were finally good" amelia cut me off.
"mark... this may be bad timing but if lexie does wake up, she probably won't remember anything." that's when i felt movement.
"lexie!" i yelled.
"who are you?" she replied.

pov: lexie

i could hear everything around me. the machines were loud and annoying and the crying wasn't soothing. but then i'd hear mark talk and it would all mean nothing. i readied myself to wake up. i prepared my body to sustain living. mark was my motivation, and xander and caroline. my family that i built for myself. so i opened my eyes.
"lexie!" mark yelled. i decided to play a little trick on him.
"who are you?" i replied. his smile turned into a frown. "oh my god! you should see your face right now!" i laughed.
"seriously? you can't do that!" he laughed.
"oh calm down. we're meant to be remember?" i laughed.