Chapter 113

Guys there's only tomorrow's updates left! :)

Everything happened so quickly and Auriga wasn't ready, much less willing. There had been a great roar from the boundary, a roar of reinforcements. At the same time, they'd lost the body of Harry Potter, and an army of house elves had scurried up from the kitchens. The centaurs too had joined the fray, stampeding and firing at the invaders of their home.

Auriga was ushered inside by Remus, who quickly picked up a duel with some Death Eater. She looked desperately around for any sign of a blond head. She thought she saw one at the very far end of the Great Hall, fighting Merlin knows who.

She pushed forward and through the crowd, blocking spells as best she could as Death Eaters were floored by those they had persecuted. Somebody lunged towards her, apparently not so skilled with a wand, and she thrust her own out, stopping them in their tracks. "I could smell you," said Greyback, spit spraying from his mouth. "You smell like my cub that abandoned me."

"He is not yours!" Auriga roared. She fired spell after spell at him, and it took mere seconds for her to finish him off, sending her curse at his chest, tearing a sharp gash across it. He fell to his knees in front of her.

Auriga looked up, glancing around. There simply weren't enough Death Eaters to go around. "Tonks and Cissy!" cried the voice of her Aunt, and she whirled round to see her duelling Ginny and Hermione. "Which blood traitor should I take next?"

"Move," Auriga ordered, and they obediently swept back. "Just like old times?" Auriga offered, her eyes narrowed and her wand poised and ready to strike.

Her Aunt cackled and sent the first curse that Auriga narrowly avoided. Her heart thundered in her throat as she retaliated, pushing forward, the only thoughts in her mind being those of Remus. She was going to live. If not for herself then for him.

Auriga knew what she was going to happen before she'd even cast her spell. The beam of purple shot forward, swiftly following the stinging hex that always caught people out. Bellatrix blocked the hex. And in the space under her arm flew the purple curse, hitting her in the side.

Bellatrix Lestrange fell, just as Narcissa Malfoy had.

Auriga had not noted who Voldemort was duelling until now. He yelled with rage, sending his opponents flying through the room. Auriga didn't register that she had been the cause of this, not in time to defend herself. Her eyes found Remus's as he lunged forward towards her, only to be restrained by Arthur and Molly.

A shield found its way in front of her. The curse didn't hit. She scurried away towards Remus, watching with astonishment as Harry appeared, alive and perfectly well.

Remus embraced her and held her waist, and Auriga knew that he would not let go this time. She grasped his arm and his hand. Either Harry would win, and Auriga would spend a lifetime where she was now, or he would lose and they would die together.

Somebody else brushed past Auriga, leaning into her. Draco. He was safe. He was alive. Or he would die by his sister's side, knowing that she would never, ever stop loving him.

Harry was talking, talking like he had all the time he needed, like the monster in front of him would not attempt to kill him. A great ray of fiery sunshine blazed through the ceiling and their spells released, colliding in the centre of the room. Auriga took a breath, knowing it may well be her last.

Voldemort fell.

Remus's hold on Auriga tightened as Hogwarts cried out in triumph. She craned up and kissed him, allowing herself to melt into him. They broke apart, grinning helplessly. "We have all the time we need," she said to him, but she could've whispered compared to the bursts of noise in the room. "Go to Harry." Remus nodded, realising her and Auriga felt oddly empty without him.

She turned to Draco, who was looking longingly to the central huddle. She embraced him tightly, squeezing him like there'd be no tomorrow. But there would be. She planted a kiss on his forehead. "We did it, Squirt," she said, grinning. "We made it."

He nodded, smiling weakly. "You just kissed a werewolf, and then you kissed me," he pointed out. Auriga rolled her eyes and Draco raised his eyebrows.

"Get used to it," she said with a shrug. "I was bitten."

His face dropped into a scowl as his hands curled into a fist. "I'll kill him," he growled, searching the crowd.

"I'd rather you didn't," said Auriga, pacing a hand on his shoulder. "I need my fiancé alive if I want to marry him."

"Your-?" he began, eyes wide. Eventually he relaxed and swallowed. "You love him?" Auriga nodded. "You're safe?"

"Yes," said Auriga, smiling and shaking her head at his antics.

Draco nodded, resigning himself. "I'll be having words."

Auriga laughed. "I'm sure you will."

"Malfoy?" asked the voice of McGonagall and the pair of them turned round. "Miss Malfoy," she corrected herself. Auriga noticed a small crowd of other Order members behind her. "You're Minister for Magic. Congratulations."

"M-Me?" stammered Auriga, frowning. "Are you sure? I'm a Death Eater-"

McGonagall raised her eyebrows and Auriga closed her mouth. "You are far from it," she told her. "The Ministry want you."

Auriga nodded, still processing the information. "I'll be right there. I just need to-"

"Take your time," said McGonagall with a stiff smile.

"Congrats, Sis," said Draco, shoving her playfully. "The top job. Knew you'd do it."

"I feel like a cheat," Auriga said to him, smiling all the same. Her eyes landed on the back of Remus's head, who was perched on the end of the Ravenclaw table, staring at Sirius's body once more. "I need to go. Are you alright?" Draco nodded reassuringly, pushing her forward.

She placed herself next to Remus, taking his hand and leaning into him. Sirius's face was just as empty as Tonks's, full of death where there had once been only life. "So," she said, trying to ignore the pit of guilt in her chest, "What colour bridesmaids dresses should we get for Harry and Draco?"

Remus smiled meekly. "I was thinking scarlet," he said quietly, making Auriga chuckle a little.

"I'm needed at the Ministry," she said quietly.

Remus nodded. "I thought you would be."

Auriga kissed him lightly on the cheek, allowing her lips to linger. "I'll meet you at Oakenmore Way?" he nodded, looking like he dreaded the thought of moving on. "And if Draco punches you, it's because I told him."

These words jolted Remus from his trance of depression and he looked at her, eyes wide. "Which part?"

Auriga broke away and shrugged, walking away backwards. "All of it?"