Chapter 40

K so we peaked at chapter 39 :)

"Auriga?" asked Dumbledore, nodding at the report Shacklebolt had made. "Do you have anything from the Minister's office?"

"Yes, actually," she said. Everybody sat up a little bit straighter, eager for news. "Have you found a replacement for Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher yet?"

Dumbledore and Snape exchanged a look. "No," he said, "Not yet."

"The Minister intends to place a Ministry official in that position," said Auriga, "Following a Ministry approved course. The plan is for that individual to assess the day-to-day running of the school."

Dumbledore nodded grimly. "And who does he have in mind?"

"Dolores Umbridge is keen," said Auriga. There were a few frowns from other Ministry members. "She wouldn't be my first choice as a Professor."

"Wasn't she the one that put through the Werewolf Legislative Act?" asked Remus.

"Yes, she did," Auriga confirmed.

"And your Father supports that, does he?" Arthur Weasley asked him.

"My Father also supports the Dark Lord," Auriga retorted.

"Well," said Snape. "It seems there's a rather obvious solution to this problem." Dumbledore raised his eyebrows, and then realised what he was thinking.

Auriga however, did not. "And what might that be?" she asked.

"We have someone who is regularly in the Minister's Office, who is also an Order member," Snape explained. "They would be ideally placed."

Auriga caught on. "The only issue with that, is that I cannot work with children."

"Why not?" asked McGonagall. "You were Head Girl."

"I'm hardly qualified," Auriga protested.

"If I recall correctly," said Snape, "You got an O in your OWL."

"But I didn't even do the NEWT!" she said.

"I think the problem is less the qualifications, and more how well you can teach," said Dumbledore.

"I have no teaching experience," said Auriga.

"Well I think you'd make an excellent teacher," said Remus. Auriga shot him a scowl.

"Apart from that," she continued, "I'm the youngest Head of Department ever. I'm in my dream job. You can't expect me to give that up for a teaching post."

"We all have to make sacrifices," piped up Molly Weasley.

"Haven't I already given you enough?" Auriga said, feeling herself go hot.

"People lost their lives last time!" said Sirius.

Auriga felt very defeated. "Well then," she said, looking around for support. She received none. "I suppose I'll have to go up against Umbridge."

The meeting continued for a little longer after that, and as soon as they were dismissed Auriga left the room before anyone could say anything to her. She had managed to get up to the second floor before she was stopped. "Auriga!" Lupin called quietly.

"So that's it then?" she snapped, turning around to see him produce a confused smile.

"What?" he asked, not catching on.

"You just take what you want, and then drop me," Auriga pushed, "Because Malfoys don't have feelings? Right?"

"That's not what I..." Lupin began, "What are you talking about?" They stopped talking and smiled as Draco and Potter walked past them and into Potter and Ron's room.