Chapter 35

gUYS :)

Lupin wasn't answering the door. Auriga had been knocking periodically for almost five minutes, but it seemed neither Sirius nor Lupin were in. Which was odd, because they were usually expecting her home by now.

She checked her watch. It was five minutes to six, which meant (given that it was the last day of term) that Draco would be arriving at King's Cross Station any minute now. Auriga bit her lip; it didn't look like her housemates were in. She looked around, checking quickly for muggles, before turning on the spot and apparating to King's Cross.

The station was packed, and it appeared she'd arrived just in time, as the Hogwarts Express was pulling cleanly to a stop. The doors flew open instantaneously, and she kept her eyes peeled for any sign of a platinum blond head. Not only was she trying to find Draco, but she was also avoiding her parents.

A prefect tapped her on the shoulder, wearing an emerald green tie. "Are you Draco Malfoy's sister?" they asked.

"Yes," said Auriga, knitting her brows together. "Why?"

"There was an...incident on the train," explained the prefect, and Auriga's heart dropped. Had he been hurt? That was the last thing she needed right now. "If you'll just follow me." Auriga nodded and followed the prefect onto the train and down the corridor. Now she could see the problem. In the centre of the train were three oozing slugs being guarded over by another Ravenclaw prefect. "We're not sure if it's a transfiguration or a curse," explained the prefect.

"Hex," Auriga corrected. The prefect frowned at her. "It's more likely to be a hex than a curse. The magic isn't that dark."

"What's the difference?" asked the Ravenclaw.

"A curse is very dark magic, usually causing permanent or extreme damage," she explained, "Whereas a hex is just a spell that's designed to maim or harm. And a jinx, while we're at it, is any spell cast with ill-intentions."

"By that logic," said the Ravenclaw, "Both curses and hexes could be jinxes."

"Particularly nasty ones," said Auriga, "But, yes, technically." She paused for a moment, and the two prefects watched to see what she would do. "Specialis Revelio," she finally decided. To her great relief it revealed it was only a transfiguration. With another wave of her wand, the slugs turned into Draco and his friends Crabbe and Goyle, all looking horrified and very undignified. Auriga, however, placed a smug smile on her face. "That look suited you," she said to the three boys. The two prefects exchanged a glance of amusement.

"Get your luggage," said Auriga, conscious that the platform had cleared significantly. "I'm taking you for tea." Draco nodded and collected his things without a word as Crabbe and Goyle left to find their parents. "I'd put your hood up," advised Auriga, "It's raining outside." It was not raining outside, but she was well aware that her parents would be looking for a blond head.

The pair of them left the platform quickly, with Auriga guiding Draco away with her hand firmly on his back. She had her wand clutched in her other hand, held neatly in her pocket. They left the platform through the barrier, and she looked around, searching for a quiet place to disapparate. She usually apparated straight from Platform nine and three quarters, but today she hadn't wanted to draw attention to herself.

"Auriga," said Draco with a frown, "what's going-" But he never managed to finish his sentence. That moment, a hand grabbed Auriga's elbow and she felt herself turn on the spot. She quickly bundled Draco's cloak into her hand, and hoped he saw the sense to grab his trunk.

After undergoing the particularly nasty sensation that accompanied side-along apparation of being squeezed through a tube, Auriga felt her feet land on a pavement with a thud. She looked around for Draco, and saw him stood there with his hand gripping his trunk. "What is going on?" he demanded.