Gossip and excitement

"You are finally home, I had worried that you had been lost and I might never see you again." I giggle and wrap my arms around the torso of my husband as he walks into the room, kissing his lips gently. Colin makes a point of acting so disgusted by this, which only makes me laugh further. "Oh you shall not act as though you find me kissing my own husband so very repulsive, shall you?"

"I shall act incredibly repulsed and I shall do every time that you insist on kissing him in front of me. He is my brother and there are certain things I need never see nor hear nor witness, dear sister in law." Colin laughs and flops back onto the settee by the side of me, a wide grin on his face. "Although I must say it is entirely a pleasure to see you, Peaches. And Benedict, I suppose. I assume you have come to tell me that you have realised you are in love with myself and not Benedict? You have seen the light and you know now I am surely the most handsome Bridgerton brother and you wish to trade?"

"I did not expect to see you at all, Colin. I assumed you should be spending much time in Rome with Italian young ladies, feeding them delicacies as you gaze upon the leaning tower of Pisa!" I giggle a little and place my legs up on the chair in front of me, sighing as I enjoy the feeling of no weight on them.

"The leaning tower of Pisa is in Pisa and not Rome, Peaches. Hence why it is called such." Benedict states, sinking into the seat on the other side of me. He reaches across me and takes a sweet off the table.

"Of course. Pregnancy brain, I am sorry. You must remember I am not as smart as you, my dear husband. I did not have the pleasure of the splendid education that you did." I force myself to laugh but I am a little off put by quite how sharp he has been with me. He must be incredibly stressed out and I intend to find out why, and I intend on fixing it. "Anyway, Colin, why was it that you decided you shall postpone your trip?"

"Only because I heard you were coming home and I should not wish to miss a moment alone with you." Colin jokes and I roll my eyes, glancing to see how Benedict reacts but he does not. He seems to be closely inspecting the cake that is in his hands and does not pay any attention to Colin's humorous flirtations with his own wife. "I jest, of course. I decided to stay until next year, travel then. I must admit that one of my thoughts is that I shall miss next season's marriage market. After the gossip and excitement of this year, I should quite like to avoid my name appearing in any further scandal sheets and especially away from Lady Whistledown!"

"That feels wise. I am unsure I shall be so lucky, what with my father's death and all that happened last season, I am sure Lady whistledown shall have much to say." I joke back with him. I am sure Pen shall not say much terrible of me again, since that did not end so smoothly last time, yet she must of course write some of the Featheringtons. After all, they would be the talk of the ton and so she must, I do deem it would be quite suspicious if she did not. My sister is smart and so I am well aware that she knows this also. So, I do expect that my name shall arise in Lady Whistledown, but I do hope it is not for the same notions that it was there for last time.

Once we have chatted and laughed and spoken more with his family, I make an excuse so I may retire to bed for the afternoon. After all, if we shall be forced to attend the ball this evening then I must rest my legs. Benedict assists me up the stairs, and into the room and I close the door behind us as we both enter. "Benedict, is there something bothering you? You have been a little... well... off, all day and I... I know you do not wish to be in London but in Aubrey hall and I, well, I just wondered if there is any such thing I shall be able to do to help you feel not so stressed..." I raise a slightly suggestive eyebrow, and use the little strength I have to guide him towards the bed. I force him to lie down, struggling a little as I move onto my knees and begin quick work on his belt. He props his head up on his hand so that he might look at me as I do, and so I pull his trousers down to his ankles with the clank of his suspenders. Just as my fingers begin to tease the waist of his undergarments, he sighs slightly and shakes his head, sitting up properly and gently moving my hands away. "Benedict, what is it? What is wrong?"

"It is truly nothing, Peaches. Truly nothing. I... I suppose I feel as though I have much going on right now. I have adapted to spending time only with you and I suppose I am slightly overwhelmed with returning home. It... the death of your father, I do not know why it has affected me so. Perhaps I am reminded of my own father. Plus there is, well, something I must talk to you of-"

"You mustn't talk to me of anything at all, you must rest. You are simply tired and that is fine. I have been ever so concerned for you, you have not been yourself. You shall rest, I shall rest, we shall be ready to tackle this ball tonight." I grip onto his hands and pull myself to my feet with a strong amount of effort, groaning a little as I do. He holds my hands tightly so that I can climb with ease into the bed beside him, gently pulling the covers over myself and over him. I smile a little as I feel his warm arms wrapped around me, and although we are not at Aubrey hall, it most certainly feels like I am at home. "I love you, Benedict."

"I love you too, my darling. More than anything, I love you." He plants a gentle kiss on the back of my neck and allows himself to sigh once again. "You must remember that, always. I love you and only you, my dearest."

"I know that." I take his hands from their resting position on my stomach so I may kiss his knuckles, pressing them against my face. "We do not have to attend this ball tonight if you should not wish to. It may be quite too much for you, in fact, perhaps I shall suggest that we stay here instead?" .

"No, you needn't do that. I know you would like to attend."

"I should like to attend but I should not like to force you to do so too. I can attend without you, Benedict. I am quite sure that Colin and Eloise and perhaps even Anthony shall look after me if he must. I do wish for you to stay here and rest so that you might not feel so awful tomorrow." I kiss along his knuckles once again, smiling as he cups my chin and kisses the back of my head once more.

He mutters into my hair as though extremely tired, and I feel his head move slightly as it nods. He realises I cannot see that and so expresses his thoughts verbally instead. "Yes, perhaps that is what shall be best for me. If you are quite sure that you do not mind?"

"Quite sure, my lovely husband. I shall go alone, it shall be quite fun, I am sure."