Loveless marriage

"Peaches I..." He breathes out, shaking his head a little and rising to his feet, biting his bottom lip gently. "I... I am afraid what shall happen if I tell you."

"I do not understand what that means!'

"I do not think that Eloise accused you of being Lady Whistledown for no reason whatsoever. I think that you know who she is and I... I think that if I shall tell you what is happening then Lady Whistledown shall know quickly too." Benedict pushes his hands against his head, allowing himself to sigh as he paces from the door back to the bed. "You are a terrible gossip, this is sensitive information."

I cannot help but scoff between my tears. "You deem I am so untrustworthy that I cannot hold this information? That is cruel and it is unkind and its wholly unfair. You are being unreasonable." I scowl at him, wiping the tears from my eyes as I continue to think on what he is saying. "That is the very worst excuse I have ever heard. Benedict, we agreed on the day that we married that we shall not keep secrets from each other, that we shall tell each other everything and now you are accusing me of being Lady whistledown so that you may keep your nasty little secrets? Do you know what? You must grow up! That is so immature and unbelievably unfair!"

"I... I do not think I can risk-"

"Well I hope that whoever it is that has this secret is worth more to you than I am. Because I shall not believe that there is no affair unless you prove to me otherwise and I currently feel as though you are excusing everything possible." I hold my stomach, squeezing my eyes shut as I attempt to resist fatigue. "I shall be your wife but no longer your friend. Husband and wives may keep secrets in loveless marriages but I thought us to be more than that. I suppose I was wrong."

He stops, shaking his head. His breath is a little laboured as he decides what he shall say and how exactly he shall say it. "Peaches I... okay. Fine. Siena is with child."

I feel a horrible pang of jealousy and hatred flow through my body. "You have gotten Siena pregnant?"

"Me? What? No. No! Goodness, no! It is Anthony's child. Siena has not yet bought the news to my brother's attention, he does not know anything of it for she does not yet know what she shall do with the child. I received a letter from her, a few months ago, detailing this and I did not know what else I should do and so I have given her money. She is set up in Madame delacroix's shop currently but it is not so comfortable for her, and so I have been using the allowance in attempt to find her elsewhere that shall perhaps be better for her... Anthony has stopped providing for her and she does not know what else she is to do, I took pity on her. She is a single woman and she is alone with child and I had to help. I... did not feel I had a choice." He sighs, sitting down by the side of me and putting a hand on his head as though it is all such a pain to explain to me. "I should have told you, I know. But we have not been alone for so many days now and everytime I have begun to mention it, we have been interrupted by someone or other."

"That does not explain your moods."

"I... I mean what I said, Peaches. I am stressed. I am aware that your own family need money and I am aware that Siena shall need to be cared for and I am also aware what the repercussions of Anthony having impregnated Siena is. It shall not be good, it shall be awful scandal and gossip and we cannot afford any such more of that. I apologise for not telling you sooner, I... I have not told a soul. We cannot have a word of this, you cannot talk of it to Pen or Colin or Eloise or of Anthony himself. You simply cannot tell a soul, my darling."

I watch him and I do not know what to say. I am happy there is no affair, I am relieved and I am overjoyed and I can see how concerned he is over the other situation, but I am still irritated with him. I am sure you must understand why.

"You are not the viscount nor the head of the house, you must not deal with these things. You should tell Anthony, so that he can decide how he should like to move forward. It is his mistake after all, is it not?"

"Tell Anthony? Peaches there are many reasons I could not do so. He is not exactly known for being a subtle man whatsoever. I do not have any idea how he should react to such news." Benedict now moves himself so that he may seat by the side of me, pulling his legs onto the bed and stretching them in front of him. "And if I am being particularly selfish... if Anthony were to find out, and he was happy of it, he must either marry her or run away with her. What if he were to run away? I become viscount and I should have to stay in London for the entirety of my life, caring for my sisters and bothering as to whether their hems have lowered or not!"

"This is what you have been so stressed over? You should have told me earlier, I could have helped! Benedict. I still can help! I am a useful lady, if you simply allowed me to give you any assistance in matters! Allow me to speak with Anthony-"

"No. No. Siena does not even wish for him to know until she has decided her own steps forward." He places an arm on the headboard, looking down to me and kissing the crown of my head, in between the place where the two sections of my hair part. "I have been ever such a nightmare. Have I not?"

"I am still angry with you."

"I suppose I shall expect no less. I should have said something earlier, sooner. I tried but... every time I tried to recall it to you, I could not. I have felt so uncomfortable and stressed and torn between my brother and Siena's wishes, as well as knowing how it did not look so wonderful for myself. I swear I... only wish to keep her in comfort as I should like to any young woman in need. I suppose that baby shall be my niece or nephew and I could not simply turn my back on her situation. I could not tell you, you are a lady and you gossip."

"That is so horribly untrue. I should never gossip of anything such as this and you are a fool if you do not think you could trust me!" I remove his arm from it's resting place around my shoulders, shrugging away from him. "You do not trust me?"

"Peaches-"

"No, no. I can see why you were so upset and I can understand your stress and anxiety and I believe you are not cheating, but you have still been an ass. You still shouted at me when I spilt the cup, you have still just called me a gossip. You were sharp with me earlier over the Colosseum or whatever landmark it was. I am still angry with you."

"The leaning tower of pisa. I have told you all there is to tell now so will you please just sit back down with me?" He raises his voice slightly which only make matters so much worse.

"No. No. I shall not. This is a difficult situation but no excuse for your actions and speech towards your wife." I scowl, gripping onto the bedside table, moving away from him. "I am no commonplace gossip. I am trustworthy."

"I know. I am sorry. Will you please come back to me here, my darling?"

💗 Author's note 💗

Hi!

I've tried to get these last few chapters out super quickly so that you guys won't be so stressed about what Benedict is up to! I've typed them all so quickly that I didn't proofread or edit, so please don't hesitate to let me know if I've made any horrendous 2am spelling mistakes!

All my love,

Ruby x