Not a single one

The night arrives, and I have dressed and plaited my hair, I have pinned it up and I have pulled my dress on. Penelope was correct, it is the most gorgeous thing I have ever seen in my life. It is a pale pink colour, the bottom hem has the most delicate and intricate hand stitched flowers at the bottom, they run up the side and along the neckline, and they are just perfect. Everything about it is just perfect.

I walk down the stairs and I see my husband who has dressed in his very best. He has his smile on his face, the smile that charmed me so much in the first place. "Oh, well. That dress was worth all of that nightmare, do you not think?"

"It is splendid. Just splendid." I nod and take his hand, and he instantly spins me around. The hall here is not so large, but he had transformed it into a wonderland. There are large white lilies that are covering the walls and in vases, and candles and it is so beautiful. "You have done such a wondeful job, my love. It is everything I could ever ask for. And not a horrible lady or Lord or miss or mr in sight!"

"Not a single one." He hands me a glass of apple juice and takes a glass of champagne for himself. "So... you like the dress?"

"Benedict! I am more in love with this dress than I am with you, I shall wear it every day of my life." I smile and sip from my glass, laughing a little as I look around the room. "I cannot believe what an incredible job you have done, I never thought you should be able to pull off something as large as this... it is almost a shame that people shall not be able to see it! I shall merely have to write of it, or perhaps I shall paint it."

"You should paint it. I shall pose over here and you can paint me too." He teases, knowing that figures are not my forte and most likely never will be, despite all of the practice I shall do. "It has been over a week since you have picked up a pencil, are you feeling withdrawal, darling?"

"I am. I have been shaking and waking up in sweats, I have been anxious only to return to aubrey hall so that I might sketch something once again." I tease back, and he clinks his glass against mine, finishing his drink and placing the two glasses down onto the table.

"Shall we dance, darling?"

"I think that sounds like a perfect way to start the evening, yes. Did you... we are uh, dancing with no music, I assume?" I giggle a little as he groans. "Oh it is quite alright, you have thought of everything except music. Perhaps you shall sing for me? That shall make me feel as though I can certainly dance."

"I am sure if you should hear me sing you shall ask me for a divorce, darling." He takes my hand and spins me around anyway, kissing my cheek and raising an eyebrow. "Or perhaps we can imagine there is music. That shall be just as good. You have a wondeful imagination and so put it to use, darling."

"I am sure I should much rather hear you sing!"

"I am sure you shall not!"

"Do you not wish to give your wife what she wishes for?" I smile and pull his lapel gently, looking up to him. He groans a little and shakes his head, but he does, beginning to sing softly as he holds me close against him, as close as he can without squashing my ever growing stomach against him.

It is the most wonderful feeling in the world. To be with my husband, with a baby on the way, and all of the drama of London behind us. It has been a strange and tumultuous week or so but I am, in a strange way, glad that it happened. As I look at him, I feel as I did when I met him, when I married him, and every day that we spent Aubrey hall: that nothing else matters other than him.

💗 Author's note 💗

Hi guys!

I hope you enjoyed this short story of Benedict and Peaches. It was just a little project to show the ups and downs and misunderstandings and drama and mix-ups of marriage, plus, I couldn't resist writing a little more about Benedict before I move on to another character!

Thanks for sticking with me when I've updated at 4am in the morning, or when I've been slow to explain why Benedict was acting so strangely, or when I have made horrible spelling mistakes.

I really appreciate all the comments and the support - my heart literally bursts every time someone comments!

I think I'm going to start writing about a new character now - perhaps Anthony or Colin. Look out for those updates if you're interested!

All my love,

Ruby x

Update; check out First Born Bridgerton up now!