The dinner table

"You are feeling well again, my dear?" Violet kisses Benedict gently on the head as he enters the dining room for breakfast, a large smile on her face as she greets the two of us. "It is so wonderful to see the both of you, although I am sad it is under such dreadful circumstances. Peaches, I am ever so sorry for your loss. We all know too well how difficult it is to lose a family member that is close to us, my dear, you must only ask if you need anything at all, you of course understand that? You know that we shall always support you."

"I am aware." I squeeze Benedict's hand. I have not yet mentioned the fact that he has been funneling money to my family, for it seems he wishes to keep that a secret from me. I think it is rather lovely that he does such, he knows I did not approve but he has done a kind thing anyway. "Thank you, Lady Bridgerton."

"Is my boy caring for you as he should be doing?" She is graceful as she moves down into her seat, taking her glass and filling her own up, handing it towards Anthony so he may do his own. Once it reaches Benedict, he pours it into my glass and then his own, his hand still on mine underneath the table. "I hope I have bought him up well enough that he shall be doing."

"Oh, that is the very last thing you must worry about, Lady Bridgerton. He is the most wonderful husband I could have asked for and I do not only say that because he is sat by the side of me and I could not say much else." I laugh a little, reaching for my drink and as I do, I knock it and it wobbles for a moment before eventually spilling it's contents all over Benedict. "Oh, I am sorry-"

"My goodness, Peaches! You cannot even go without spilling drinks now!" He exclaims, jumping from his seat before he scowls a little. I just stare at him and his expression softens as he realises that everyone else is staring at him too. So, he clears his throat and stands behind me, putting a gentle hand on my shoulder. "I am sorry, I did not... I did not mean to have such a wicked outburst. That was unreasonable of me."

"You do think!" Anthony grunts at him, narrowing his eyes as one of the help quickly rushes to the rescue and begins to mop up the mess I have made. I apologise profusely but she merely smiles at me. "That was no such way to behave at the dinner table."

"As though you are always so well behaved at the dinner table, Anthony. I... I said I was sorry. I did not mean... I shall just go and get myself cleaned up." My husband pinches the bridge of his nose, leaning down to me and taking my hand gently, kissing the back of it with soft lips and sighing. "I am sorry, Peaches. I... I shall see you after breakfast." And after that, he excuses himself and I hear him stomp up the stairs.

It is silent for a moment before Eloise speaks. "And what was that you said about him being such a  wonderful husband?"

"Oh, do be quiet, Eloise." Violet shifts a little uncomfortably, but forces the same smile of poise and grace that I have never failed to see upon her face. "As though you never have any ill tempered outbursts. The boy is just tired and perhaps a little stressed, I am sure he shall be just fine, Peaches. He has never, ever been like such before and I do not expect he shall be like it again. He is possibly the best tempered of all my children, I am sure it is lack of sleep from the journey and from his concern for yourself and your family. Do not worry."

I cannot do anything other than frown and nod. "Perhaps I shall go and see Penelope, if that is okay?"

"Of course. Give him some time to cool off, that shall be a good idea." Violet agrees, still offering me the same smile.

"I shall walk you there-" Both Anthony and Colin begin at the same time, which causes Eloise to burst into laughter and Violet to chuckle, and therefore Hyacinth too as she does not wish to feel as though she is left out.

"Well at least it seems I have two Bridgerton brothers who actually like me." I dab the sides of my mouth with the napkin that rests on my lap, shaking my head and smiling. "I am sure I shall manage across the road by myself just fine. No need for either of you two to bother yourselves."

"Please allow me to. I have something I should like to talk to you of." Colin stands up instantly but so does Anthony. "I am sure what I have to say is much more urgent than whatever you do, Anthony."

"I... fine. We shall have to talk when you are home." Anthony shakes his head and returns to his seat and I am surprised at how quickly and easily he backs down from it.

Colin breathes out in victory and guides me to the front door, speaking only as we have left. "I only wished to say that... well, what Benedict did there... that was not at all him acting like himself. I have noticed he has seemed different since you arrived back to London. I wished only to say that he is not like that usually. I know you are aware of who he is, you have married him, but I wanted to assure you that you have not accidentally married a man with a terrible temper. He is a truly good man who had a momentary loss of control or whatever you wish to call it."

"Oh, Colin." I laugh a little, but this is accompanied with a sigh. "I know that, I do. I suppose that is what makes it all the more shocking. He has not been himself and I am glad you have noticed it too. I was worried I was the one going mad! He has been acting rather odd."

"I must admit I have not seen much of him yet I can still recognise that something is not quite right."

"He is a man, you are all strange to me. I mean, he has spent more time at the modiste browsing for dresses than he has spent with me so far!" I laugh as we reach the front door of my old home.

"Did... did you say the modiste? As in... madame delacroix?-"

"Peaches! I did not expect to see you today. Oh, and Colin too." Penelope bites her lip and looks between the two of us, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear.

"I apologise, Colin, I must go. The slower I am, the more likely my mother is to catch me before Penelope can successfully sneak me upstairs. I shall see you soon." I nod to him.

"Peaches-" I hear him begin another sentence but Pen has already closed the door quietly and quickly in an attempt that she shall be able to protect me from seeing mother.

"Peaches, is there something troubling you? You look so deep in thought." Pen enquires as we sit on her bed with a tray of sweets in front of us. 

"Well, if I must... I... I think myself and Benedict are going through a rough patch. He was so reluctant to come to London, and now he is acting as though having to be here is the most awful thing that could possibly happen to him but, well, I do not wish to be here either! He has been tired and stressed and well thought that after last night, perhaps he may be in a better mood but it is as though it has done the exact opposite! He had such an outburst at breakfast this morning when I spilled a drink. I do not know what is wrong with him. All I do know is that I wish to return to Aubrey hall at the soonest moment we can so that my husband shall not do strange things such as lose his temper and decide he should rather sleep or spend time at the modiste, or anywhere that is not spending any moments with me."

💗 Author's note! 💗

Hi guys!

I've had quite a lot of people who aren't too happy with all of this! Is Benedict cheating? Who is she? What else could he possibly have done that's so bad?

Without any spoilers, all I will say is this: they will get their happy ending, but there will be many misunderstandings in between.

Hope that makes you feel a little better about how Benedict is acting!

All my love,

Ruby x