Chapter 3 - Time

"Well?" I ask impatiently. "Are you going to tell me what you guys are talking about?"

They shake their heads, smiles still on their faces. This has gotten too weird and creepy for me. "Okay then. I'll be going. See you never! Bye!" I say, turning to go. James' hand closes around my wrist, and I turn around, and I see both their smiles are gone.

"You have to stay here," says James. "You can't leave. Not yet. It's too important."

"What's important?" I say angrily through gritted teeth.

"We can't tell you," says Caroline. She just said the wrong thing.

"If I don't know, then I have no reason for staying. So tell me or I'll go, okay?"

James lets out a frustrated grunt and says "Fine! Go! Live a sad life, always on the run. But know this. One day soon we will meet again. And when that happens, we will not be so nice as to just let you go. You will either go with us willingly or not." And with that, he turns and walks around the corner, out of sight.

Caroline sighs. "He doesn't mean that. He's really nice once you get to know him."

Adam taps her shoulder, and she says "Right. I've got to go. But please stay. My father, the king, is going to make an announcement that you might want to hear. He'll start once I get back. I've got to go." She repeats.

She turns to go when Adam faces me and hands me a toque that he places in my hands. I use it to cover my hair and I have it on my head by the time they turn the corner. I then take a step into the light and take a deep breath. The breeze cools me down and the sun feels nice on my skin.

I sit in one of the lower bleachers, away from the packs of people. I sit there for a minute before someone walks onto the balcony, and everyone goes silent.

The man standing up there is wearing a thin gold crown with spikes at the top. He also wears a grey suit with a white shirt and black tie. 

Next in came Princess Caroline, who had gotten her hair done in record speed, which is now a beautiful braid that hangs over her shoulder. She wears a black and white dress that almost goes down to her knees. She also wears heels that give her at least an extra inch, maybe more.

Caroline spots me in the crowd and smiles.

Then the king starts talking in a deep, commanding voice. "Good day to you all."

To my surprise, everyone says "Good day to you."

The king clears his throat for silence, even though no one was talking. "Citizens of Glezentine. I am here to announce a very important message."

Why else would you be up there? I think, rolling my eyes.

"On this day, five years ago, my beloved wife, Queen Mirabella, passed away. But I don't want us to despair. I want us to celebrate the wonderful life she led." And with that, the crowd cheers.

The king turns to leave, but Caroline taps him on the shoulder. He faces back out into the audience.

"Oh right. You know what that means. It is time." He says darkly, not explaining any further. The crowd murmurs and I only catch small bits and pieces. Time... All those children... The girl... Cake!

That last one makes me turn to see who's being so enthusiastic about cake and where I can get some. I'm shocked to see James and Adam standing there with a black cake. It's either in memory of the Queen, or he just has really bad taste in cake.

"Hey, guys." Says a voice behind me.

I jump in alarm and turn to see the princess. "Oh. It's just you," I say with a sigh of relief.

"Just me?" She says, pretending to be offended, but she smiles. Then she sees James and what he's holding. "Ooh! Cake! Can I have some?"

"You want your mother's death cake?" James asks her.

I stare open-mouthed at him. That's such a rude thing to say. And to a princess nonetheless.

Caroline just laughs. Then she stops and thinks. "I might never laugh like that again." She says after a while.

"What?" I ask, confused. "Why?"

The princess looks over to me and asks "How old are you?"

"Why is that relevant?"

"How old are you?" She repeats.

"I'm twelve. Why?"

She sighs. "You'll get dragged into this too."

I'm excited for the next chapter, and I know what's going to happen next! Please tell me what you think! Vote and comment!