Chapter 14 - Bee

James catches the motion, and asks, "What's the matter?"

"Oh, nothing. I just wanted to know how you got the idea for this. It's beautiful, and must've taken forever to paint, but it's definitely worth it."

Adam beams and points a thumb at himself.

"Wait. You came up with this? How old were you?"

Adam ticks three fingers in the air.

"Three?!" I exclaim. He just nods proudly. How can a three year old come up with a beautiful painting on the wall?

James senses my confusion. "People age differently in Glezentine. In the normal world, we were an age and a half. So he was actually 5 and a half."

I nod. Five sounds better. "Wait a second." I say, an idea hitting me like a punch to the gut. "That means-"

"Yep." Interrupts James. "We are 19."

I groan. "I'm even younger than you guys, then I thought!"

He chuckled. "Not anymore. The moment you stepped into Glezentine, you started to age just like we do."

"Which is how exactly?"

"I don't exactly know how to explain it. Basically, you're now an age and a half. Which is 18."

I sigh. "Still a year younger."

"Would you rather be seven years younger?"

"Good point. But what happens if I leave? I'll be way older than I'm supposed to be."

If. I don't realize I've said it until James gives me a small smile. He knows what I said. Then something hits me. The fact that it's true. If. Not when. Once I finish, and I will finish, I'm not sure if I actually want to go. Life out there, on the run, or life here, with friends.

"This place just feels right." I don't register, I've said it, until James nods.

"Glezentine is pretty wonderful." I raise a skeptic eyebrow. "Okay," he amends, "except for some things."

"Yeah. Like the killing. But that's only minor." I say sarcastically, rolling my eyes.

"None of us are killers."

"Jury's still out for you."

"Do you think I did it?"

I tilt my head considering I've been thinking about that, and I've decided he couldn't have."No. I don't think you'd have it in you."

He gives me a smile.

Just then Caroline walks in. I hadn't realized she was in the house. She hands me some PJs and pushes James out, closing the door behind her. She turns back to me and her expression told me she wasn't exactly gentle when she shoved him.

I sit on the bed and pack the spot next to me, inviting her to join me. Her anger deflates, leaving just sadness as she settles down on the bed.

"Are you all right?" I ask gently. I've never been good at comforting people, and now isn't any exception.

"Fine." She says stiffly. I haven't known her for that long, but I can tell she's lying.

I slowly put my arm around her, and it breaks the thin shell. She covers her face and starts crying. I pull her to me, and she rests her head on my shoulder.

I wait a minute before asking, "What's the matter?"

She slowly stops crying, then sniffs and wipes her eyes. "It's James." She says between sniffles.