Birds Of A Feather

*Parseltongue*
This is over 4000 words, so... enjoy

Harry was pacing the floors of Tom's room, waiting fo him to get out of the washroom.

It was the day they had agreed on to go to Diagon Alley, and Harry was stressed out. He had no idea what result he wanted.

On one hand, being a Veela didn't sound so bad. He'd get some kick-ass wings and, technically, he'd have been one all his life. Just without the wings, claws, and fangs, of course.

But then again, it's a lot of change. He wouldn't room in the Gryffindor tower anymore and, who knew, people at Hogwarts might have some hatred for Veelas.

Not that Harry necessarily cared about anyone other than his close friends, but... still.

The toilet flushed, the sink ran, and about twenty seconds later Tom walked out, running his fingers through his hair. He stopped, though, when he saw Harry.

"Harry!" He greeted. "Um... How did you get into my room?"

"I'm friends with Fred and George, remember?" Was all Harry said, continuing his pacing. "Merlin, I'm all jittery, I think I might explode."

"Because of your blood test?"

"No, why would you think that?" Harry said sarcastically, before huffing and plopping down on one of Tom's chairs. "Sorry, sorry, I know I probably sound like a bitch. I just— what if I am a Veela, you know? I don't even know what that entails—"

"Didn't Hermione lend you that book on Creature Inheritances?" Tom asked.

"You and Hermione give me way too much credit with remembering things, and I already gave 'Mione back the book," Harry said, before leaning his head against the back of the chair. "It's a big change, you know? I just got used to puberty, and now I have to go through this too?"

Tom was silent for a moment, before he gently grabbed Harry's chin between his thumb and forefinger, leaning down to press a kiss to his forehead.

"If it makes you feel any better, I went through the same thing about five months ago. It's rough for two minutes or so, but after that, it feels even more normal than before."

Harry looked up at his boyfriend dejectedly before wrapping his arms around the other's legs, bringing him close. He rested his head on Tom's thigh and sighed, pleased, when Tom started running his fingers through his hair.

"We don't need to get that blood test done," Tom said, gently tugging on a knot in Harry's hair. "I'll take you wherever you want to go— we can get ice cream, if you want."

Harry smiled reluctantly and looked up at Tom. "Ice cream in Scotland? In May? It has to be less than ten degrees outside."

Tom shrugged. "No one else needs to know."

Sighing, Harry turned his head so that he could press a light kiss to Tom's wrist. "Thank you for offering. But... even if I don't get that test done, I'd still go through it on my birthday. I might as well be prepared, right?"

"If you don't want to do it today, we can always go tomorrow."

Harry shook his head. "No, giving me more time to think about it will just stop me." He took Tom's hand. "C'mon, let's go."

It was strange being in Diagon Alley when it wasn't overcrowded due to back to school shopping. In fact, it almost looked like a wasteland to Harry.

"We need to make sure we don't get caught," Tom told Harry, squeezing his hand. "I'm first in line to be head boy next year, I can't risk it."

Harry rolled his eyes, but squeezed Tom's hand back. "Okay, subtle brag, but alright. Besides, I doubt anyone here gives a shit that two Hogwarts students are in Diagon Alley at this time of year. They could think we have special permission, or that we're homeschooled. Or maybe even that we've already graduated."