The Day of Pining

It was Valentine's day, and Harry wanted to stay bundled up in his room as he sobbed.

It was a bit of an over exaggeration, but it still stood that it was the day that hurt Harry the most.

Usually PDA was on the down low, and Harry could easily ignore how lonely he was. But on Valentine's Day, everyone was always making out with each other, and Harry wasn't sure whether he was annoyed or jealous.

Yes, he was a bitter single. Whatever.

"Harry, it's almost time to go to charms. You need to get up."

"Neville, you know the drill. I'm sick."

Neville just sighed. "You can't just be sick every Valentine's Day. Soon someone's going to get suspicious."

Harry snorted. "Yeah, but I'm in sixth year. Even if they catch on next year it's not like it's gonna really change anything."

He heard the door opening and counted it as a victory. "Fine. Have a good nap, Harry."

The door closed, and Harry felt a sort of vindictive pleasure in actually being able to stay in bed for yet another Valentine's Day.

He wasn't proud of it, but he didn't want to have to deal with all the bullshit that the day brought. He'd have to at dinner, so sleeping in was his way of dealing with it.

Besides, what if Tom decided to ask his mate to date him today? Harry couldn't witness that!

Harrumphing, Harry stuck his face in his pillow.

After his bloody nose experience, Tom had visited him in the hospital wing when visitors were welcome— Madam Pomfrey had made him stay overnight, so she could monitor him. He asked Harry to come watch the sunset with him the next day.

Of course, Harry had agreed, and it was the best experience of his life.

He wasn't sure whether he could call it a date, seeing as he didn't want to be too presumptuous, but he sure hoped it was.

Still, Harry was alone. Again. For another Valentine's Day. Even if he was Tom's mate, the fact remained that Harry was still very single.

"Harry Potter, you're a disgrace."

"Thanks, 'Mione," Harry grunted, as he woke up from his nap. "Uh, you're not allowed in the boys—"

"I don't want to hear it!" Hermione exclaimed, shutting the door behind her. "What is this for, huh? Why stay in bed all day when I personally know you're healthy? Think of your education, Harry!"

Harry rubbed the sleep out of his eyes and shrugged. "I dunno. Valentine's Day just affects me, I guess."

Hermione's eyes softened. "No, shit." She sighed. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"You wanna listen to my bullshit?"

"I asked, didn't I?"

Harry sighed and patted his bed, prompting Hermione to sit down across from him.

He took a deep breath. "Well, I mean it physically hurts to see people in relationships when I'm not— Merlin, that makes it sound so selfish. I don't mean it like—" Harry cut himself off, flinging himself into his pillows. "I'm not good at emotions."

"Try your best," Hermione comforted, her hand reaching out grab his ankle lightly. "I'm listening."

Harry took a moment.

"I feel like I'm missing something, 'Mione. My heart feels like there's a hole in it and I don't know how to fix it. Whenever I see happy couples it hurts so much more. It's almost like... my heart is reaching for something it doesn't have?" His face burned. "That sounded silly. I'm—"