Chapter 32: Meetings and Allies

I awoke feeling drowsy but so much better. The nausea was gone, the shakiness was gone, the headache was gone, I was just a little sleepy. My eyes fluttered open and I almost screamed, seeing Rykan right in my face and staring at me.

"Geeze, Ry," I said, setting my hand on my chest. "What the hell? You scared me."

"Kora," he breathed. "How do you feel?" He asked, his brows knit in concern.

"I'm fine," I said, sitting up and stretching. "I told you I'd be fine after I took the pills and rested. Why are you so freaked out?"

"Rest, angel?" He said, shaking his head. "It was a little more than just resting. You've been asleep for twenty-seven hours."

"What?" I asked, my eyes going wide.

"Yeah," he nodded, setting the back of his hand against my forehead. "It was like a coma. We couldn't wake you up. It scared me. Jasmine's been coming in to check you every twenty minutes and I've been monitoring your heart rate. Are you sure you feel okay?"

"I really do feel fine, Ry," I said, frowning. "Geeze, I guess I was tired."

That did absolutely nothing to ease his anxiety. He stared at me for a moment before kissing my forehead and hopping off the bed, grabbing one of his sweatshirts and tugging it over me.

"Come on," he said, lifting me up. "We're taking you to get fully checked."

"Rykan," I sighed. Here we go again with the carrying thing. He did this when he was freaked out, I realized. It didn't make it less annoying. "I feel fine, I promise," I assured. "I probably just needed to catch up on sleep. And if I've been out this long it means we have the bit meeting with the other packs, right?"

"Fuck the meetings," he growled. "You aren't going to any meetings until I make sure you're okay."

"Ry, don't be that way," I sighed. "I want to go to the meeting and I feel fine."

"Kora," Rykan said, holding me up with one hand and bringing the other to the back of my head. "Do not fight me on this one. Do you have any idea how scared I was? We're getting you scanned and your blood tested and whatever the fuck else it is Jasmine does."

"Scanned?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes. Scanned," he said, carrying me towards the door.

I was confused at first before I realized what he was saying and recognized the fear in him. It was the same fear he had when he took me to my regular checkup a couple weeks ago. Oh, good grief. He was terrified my cancer was back.

"Ry," I said, setting my hand on his face. "My cancer isn't back. Don't you remember I just got checked a couple weeks ago?"

"Then what's wrong?" He asked, his tone so full of concern.

"Nothing's wrong, baby. Sometimes people just need rest," I shrugged. "I get really intense migraines, that's one of the reasons I have to take those pills. Getting off my schedule might've had something to do with it, too. Can you please set me down?"

He growled but did as I asked, wrapping an arm around my waist. "I don't care you just got checked, Kora. I need you to be checked again. Just stop fighting me on this, all right? You getting checked is the only way I'm not going to lose my fucking mind wondering if you're okay."

"I still want to go to the meeting," I said firmly.

He sighed and shook his head, muttering under his breath before grabbing my hand. "Fine. But you get checked first and we only go if you're feeling okay after you get checked," he said, pulling me with him out the door.