Chapter 43: Suspicious

Cassie's POV: 

"You're going to miss the turn," I said, reaching over and turning the volume down, rolling my eyes as Renzo sang along to the song. He walked around the city while I was in my meeting and bought way too much candy and random shit from all the little stores. He couldn't be trusted alone with money. I knew that, and yet I brought him anyway, and now the trunk was full of a bunch of stuff again.

"Nah, that's why I got you here," Renzo said, slowing the car down and turning onto Redwood's entrance road. "You're my guiding light," he added with a wink, setting his hand on my thigh.

"Shut up," I said, rolling my eyes and biting back the smile. "We are on a serious mission."

"Oh, a serious mission," Renzo said, giving me a stiff salute. "Yes my darling. I am yours to command however you like."

"Stop it," I said, giggling. "We can't be all lovey-dovey in front of Rykan, it would be so mean right now."

"Ah, let the fucker suffer, he acted like an asshole," Renzo shrugged. "I say we be extra lovey-dovey just to spite him. And because I don't think it's possible for me to act like I'm not completely in love with you. You're holding at too high a standard, Cass. It's really unfair. Are you trying to tell me to not be myself? Because myself is smitten with you."

"We aren't having sex in this car," I said, raising an eyebrow.

"Why not?" He pouted. "We've had sex in this car before."

"I'm on a time crunch, Lorenzo Estevan!" I scolded. "You're not allowed to distract me."

"Time crunch," he scoffed. "You're acting like I can't make you satisfied with a quickie. Give me a break, woman, I know your body. I got the map memorized," he said, tapping his head. "And my is it a lovely, lovely map," he said, giving me a side-glance and a smile I knew all too well.

Damn him for being sweet and adorable and irresistible. I was on a mission, dammit.

"Renzo, my love, if you have any hope of getting this tonight," I said, gesturing to my body. "Then you cannot distract me."

He sighed dramatically. "Fine. I guess I'll just be helpful or whatever. Pick your herbs and shit. Fantasize about the trip to the lingerie store you promised me."

"Shut up, we're here," I said, biting back the smile as he slowed to a stop in front of their gate.

Xander was able to find Luke and his mate. They were hiding out in a rogue camp not too far from here and we were supposed to pick them up to bring them back to our pack but I figured taking them to the pack they were kicked out of on the way would not be a good idea, so we would have to get them after.

Someone approached the car and Renzo rolled down the window. "What's up, man?" Renzo said. "We're here to get some stuff of Kora's. Your Alpha should've gotten a text from mine."

"Right," he said, nodding to the person guarding the gate. "Go ahead," he said, waving us through as the gate opened.

"Are you nervous?" Renzo asked, setting his hand on my knee that I didn't realize until that moment was bouncing.

"I mean, a little. I just hope he's not in a bad mood," I said, rolling my eyes.

It was like I jinxed it. The second I said it, wolves surrounded the car, growling aggressively.

"What the fuck?" Renzo frowned, rolling down the window. "Hey, we got the okay to come in here," he called out.

One shifted and approached the car, shaking his head. "Your approval to cross into the territory has been rescinded. Turn the car around."