Chapter 49: The Battle, Part 1

I sat on the steps of Blackstone's porch, watching people rush around, watching others file into the pack-house. Xander and Addie were having everyone that couldn't fight go to the safehouse they had in their basement. It was something like a bomb shelter that they'd stay in until this was over. I swallowed hard, watching another group of kids run past with blankets and stuffed animals, the anxiety and fear evident in their eyes.

"You okay?"

I looked over and found Tess as the source of the question. I smiled weakly and nodded, watching another group of kids go by as well as an elderly couple.

"Liar," Tess sighed, leaning back against the railing of the porch. "It's okay. I get it. But don't worry, this isn't our first fight, it won't be our last."

"Aren't you at all bothered by the fact that your pack is in danger because you took me in?" I asked.

"No," she frowned. "Of course not. I'm pissed at the real culprits of this which is Damon and Scott and Catelyn and whatever other assholes are working with them. We're not in danger because of you, we're in danger because of them."

"I wish I would've had more training time," I admitted. "Everyone thinks I should stay in the pack-house."

"And what do you think?" Tess asked, turning towards me.

"I wish I could do something besides hide away," I said. "Addie is going to be in the action."

"Addie is barely human," Tess said, raising an eyebrow. "Don't compare yourself to Addie. Addie has been trained since she was a kid to handle delicate and dangerous situations, you haven't. Addie has her strength and weaknesses and so do you, just because they're not the same strengths and weaknesses doesn't mean she's better than you or you're better than her. You're different kinds of Lunas and there's nothing wrong with that."

"You're right," I sighed. "But I still hate it. Hiding feels cowardly."

"I don't think it's cowardly," Tess said, shaking her head. "Do you think it's cowardly for the people who farm and don't know the first thing about fighting to go into the safehouse?"

"No," I frowned.

"And how much do you know about fighting, Kora? I mean, Patrick taught you how to punch, he worked with you on some self-defense, but other than that you don't know because you weren't taught," she shrugged. "Addie knows because she was taught, but you not being taught isn't your fault. Next time you'll be able to join the fight. This time, if you need to stay behind, you need to stay behind. No one faults you for not being able to do something you were never taught."

"It sucks," I said, propping my elbows on my knees and resting my chin on my hands.

"It does," she agreed. "But it'll be over before you know it."

"I guess," I muttered. "Do you know if we've heard from Patrick?"

"I heard he's about an hour out. He won't get here with the others until the fight starts," she said. "That's also true of Francesca's friends, they're closer but still probably won't be here until after it starts. But don't sweat it, our allies know about you and are on our side. They'll be here..." she trailed off and smiled. "I was going to say they'll be here any minute but they're here," she said, pushing off the porch and walking past me.

I followed her gaze and saw a group of wolves emerge from the tree line and head right for us. I might've been scared if Tess wasn't walking towards them with a welcoming smile.

"Alpha Mateo," she said, bowing her head. "This is Luna Kora," she said gesturing back to me. "Luna Kora, this is Alpha Mateo and his best fighters. I'm sure we can do more thorough introductions later."