III - physical pain and mental confusion

'Shit not again' Y/n gritted her teeth while she hurriedly went over to Emma who was currently hyperventilating in her sleep. The orange-haired girl was gasping for air rather quickly and unevenly while a hurt expression was painting her face. Y/n started to lightly crease the sleeping girl's hair while pulling the ginger locks away. She then pulled Emma's cover down a bit, making way for more fresh air to hit that girl's torso which was covered in a cold sweat.

When the sleeping figure had calmed down, Y/n made her way out of the bedroom closing the door neatly behind her. Surrounded by almost complete silence the house felt even more ominous than ever. The only source of sound was the lonely clock on the wall, which was currently showing 4:30 am. With each and every click it made the seconds until the children's death fewer.

That night Y/n didn't get any sleep and wasn't going to. Instead, she was watching over her siblings in fear and worry that somehow mom would find out about her, Emma and Norman's late-night expedition and send the others to their decided fate, death.

After walking into the kitchen, the girl grabbed a glass of water with her shaky hands like she did a few hours ago and drank it all in a few gulps. But even the liquid couldn't stop the headache accompanied by ringing in the ears that started recently. A sudden sound of the floor creaking made Y/n grip the cup she glass tighter.

"It's just me." Ray said while pointing his hands at himself wanting to further insure Y/n of his words.

Y/n breathed out and gave the boy a small smile that didn't reach her eyes. "I know dummy."

"Then why were you startled?" A low chuckle escaped the boy's lips while he observed Y/n carefully.

"Oh, you know..." Y/n began making  Ray's brows rise in anticipation. "I was scared it was mama. You know very well she isn't a fan of staying up late." The girl whispered and lowered her gaze to the floor.

Ray nodded his head slowly, letting his eyes land on whatever was so interesting to his left. "Want to start preparing breakfast for everyone?"

"Ray, you should go back and try to get some more sleep." Y/n whispered while making her way to the boy, putting her smooth hand on the boy's shoulder.

"No, I will help you."

"Please, go back to..."

"Y/n, listen... I can help you, it's fine." Ray said while patting the top of the girl's hand a few times that was currently resting on his shoulder and started walking towards the pantry. "So what are we making?"

...

Preparing breakfast with Ray was always pure joy for Y/n. Since the two of them were even younger they utterly enjoyed spending time together quickly developing a love for books and reading. That activity for them was at first like a cup of warm milk before bed, something that put them to sleep quickly. It, later on, became a tradition for them, spending evenings or even nights in the library talking about the imaginary worlds and other various wonders that were not available in the house. They compared one another to characters in those novels they read, sometimes making each other flushed but never noticing the other's tinted cheeks. Now, a few years later, their tradition of spending their free time in the library remained, but they began to draw more amusement from doing simple household duties together.

But that morning was different. Y/n, who was always sparkling with happiness around the boy and surely couldn't keep her mouth shut, stayed silent deep in her thoughts. Although the raven-haired boy's expression didn't change, he often threw glances at Y/n as if she was an interesting exhibit in a museum. The girl on the other hand was trying with all her might to focus on the work that had to be done, but struggled to keep her attention fully on the activity she took up. The headache was still giving its torment as the ringing in the ears went on with their sonata, which was rather tiring.