XVII - every action has a consequence

Sister Krone's departure marked the beginning of a series of unfortunate events. It was as if she packed all the happiness and luck in her small coffer and brought it out of the house.

The train of the adverse happenings left its station the next morning. The start of the day didn't only bring breakfast which Y/n got not from the hands of mama but Norman, but the boy, whose hair could be compared to a white letter dove who, similar to the bird itself brought news. Not good, not bad, just informative.

"You see Y/n-" Norman smiled while doing the explaining accompanied by soft gesticulations. "We have thought about everything. Ray will distract mom, Emma and I will inspect the vicinity, as for Gilda and Don, they will let me know if the inspection has to be canceled in case Ray fails with his given task."

Y/n hummed in response with a tint of irony and looked curiously at the boy. "And where is my given place in this 'escapade' of yours?"

The boy with ocean-colored eyes halted for a quick span of time. Something stirred in his eyes, making him look almost doubtful like a whirlpool is making the ocean unsure.

"Well, Y/n-" Norman rubbed his index finger on his chin in a thinking manner. "I thought you already knew what had been assigned to you."

The mentioned girl, still sitting in one of the beds of the infirmary, raised her eyebrows as a sign she really didn't have the smallest clue what was 'assigned' to her.

Norman flashed a whole-hearted smile before speaking out the words of doom. "You will sit here and rest. Leave everything to us. It will go splendidly."

"What if it doesn't?"

"Have a little faith in us Y/n. And now-" Norman put down the tray with breakfast in the girl's lap. "Eat, gain energy, and soon you will be back to help us. As for now, enjoy your meal."

Y/n snorted hearing those words but nevertheless escorted Norman to the door with her glance.

"Be careful."

"Don't worry Y/n."

Another snort escaped the girl's throat. 'Don't worry'? Worrying was her specialty, not a day could go by without the girl overthinking the smallest of things. She had tried a handful of times to better herself in that matter, but it was simply impossible. It was like swimming in oil, the more you try doing that the deeper you sink. In Y/n's case, she was plunging herself down a constantly growing despair and sorrow. How edgy that sounded to some people, the girl was ill and needed help. But that helping hand wouldn't certainly be provided by Grace Field house.

Norman's departure meant the girl was given the chance to step out of her bed without getting tyrannized by a scolding. Therefore, Y/n put the tray on the nightstand beside her bed and rolled up her left sleeve a bit in order to feel her forehead with the inside of her wrist. The fortunes were with her, as it was cool. She traveled her wrist to the back of her neck which came to be the same temperature.

Y/n grinned to herself evilly, as she got free from the duvet and jumped out of bed swaying a little bit. But as soon as she stood up, the low temperature infiltrated her own making the girl shiver. That issue was solved in three quick steps. Bending down, taking a quite dusty blanket from underneath the bed, and putting it on her back.

The blanket itself could in some eyes resemble a cape that various heroes from the stories she read usually wore. The question that remained was - would her actions planned for today really lead up to something heroic?

With the blanket swaying behind her, Y/n walked up to the only window of the room and looked through it rather unbothered. But that changed as soon as she caught the sight of a figure, pacing rather leisurely towards the gate.