XVII.V - two kinds of visitors, the same question

A few hours later, Y/n's eyes were far from gracefully fluttering open after a good sleep. She didn't stretch herself, breathing in the scent of dinner that flowed from the dining room while anticipating that meal with a smile mingling on her lips.

The situation was different.

Y/n's eyes snapped open while she, in a blink of an eye, sat straight upward gasping for air. Another nightmare disturbed the girl's visit to the land of dreams.

'Haven't seen those around.' She thought to herself and smiled bitterly still inhaling large amounts of air through her nostrils. 'How ironic.'

But what was even more paradoxical, was the fact that as on cue, the door to the infirmary flung open. Y/n was about to scold whoever had the audacity to walk into the room without knocking as if it was a cowshed, but she swallowed back the comment as soon as the figure had stepped in.

"Oh, it's you." Y/n smiled scornfully at the lead caretaker of the house. "The almighty Mama Isabella herself. Hasn't anyone taught you how to knock on a door before barging inside?"

The woman started laughing quietly gripping the tray with food she was holding tighter to prevent it from falling out of her hands. "Trust me Y/n." She began. "I'm also teaching others to knock on doors. No further than yesterday, I wanted to scold Ray for bursting into my room at full speed before I learned that you were in...  only a temporary unconscious state."

"And that didn't really come to your liking?" Y/n asked straightforwardly whilst smiling.

"Oh, what are you saying?" Mama put the tray she was holding on the nightstand beside Y/n's bed. "I love you as much as I love every child of this house. You are all so precious to me."

She took out a thermometer from her pocket and gave it to Y/n. "Now, enough talking. Let's check your fever."

Y/n proceeded to put the given object in her mouth and as she did, her eyes lit up in realization before proceeding away from mama's face. Slowly but steady, she tried to place the thermometer between her posterior teeth while quite struggling to remain in an unbothered state. The glass surrounding the poisonous substance was fragile to a point where biting through the material wasn't a question of firmness, but rather how that could be done in the most unseen way. Therefore Y/n started to angle her head away from mama.

'Farewell, you cruel world. Send my best regards to everyone when I'm gone.'

"Don't even think about it Y/n." Mama's voice pierced through Y/n almost like a hurricane and devastated the girl's plan like a house of cards. "You have played enough with the thermometer, give it to me.

But Y/n was a girl of her own rules, which she has certainly shown a good amount of times before. She lived by the principles mama had put up, but a day couldn't pass by with the girl not bringing her own twists to those mentioned standards. This circumstance wasn't any different.

Instead of handing the thermometer in a way mama gave it to her, Y/n turned her head to face the caretaker and having the boldness to look into the woman's eyes she spat out the little object. Unfortunately, it took a course where the goalline was Mama's shoes and not the floor which completely shielded it from the impact that could have broken the thermometer.

"You are so funny Y/n." Mama smiled sarcastically at her own feet. "Now pick it up."

"I am sick, if I bent over I might faint again." The monotony in Y/n's voice made mama sigh irritatedly, as she herself picked up the little instrument and watched it more closely while straightening her posture.

"Well, would you look at that my dear, your fever has decreased. Aren't you happy?"

"Maybe, but you sure aren't."