[C H A P T E R F O R T Y]

I searched his eyes for anything but pain, something other than the sadness that made my heart throb.

My stomach churned as I waited in silence for him to say something... anything at all, really. Deep down, I selfishly wanted him to convince me to stay. I wanted him to sweep me off my feet and hold me tight forever, and never let go.

Instead we stood in the quiet room alone, and after a while I unlaced my fingers from his and turned away to leave. He didn't have anything to say, and that's what I should have hoped for. A silent moment for me to leave, not a whisper of regret from either of us. I hung my head low and didn't look up from the ground as I took a step away, tears once again trailing down from my eyes. This would be the last I see of him, this would probably mark the end of my career. I would only see him in the youtube videos I watch over and over again, that would be the closest I could get.

I would miss those incredible eyes, I would miss the sweaters I could steal whenever I wanted to. I would miss the hugs that seemed to last forever, and I would miss the goodnight forehead kisses I would refuse to sleep without on the bad days. Most of all, I would miss that special look he gave me when he thought I wasn't paying attention.

I didn't deserve it, though. Soon enough he would find someone perfect who has pretty eyes like him and they would treat him better than I could. They would hold him tighter than me and kiss him longer, and I would hate every second of it.

Just before I could reach to grab my bag, a hand grabbed onto mine. Another gripped my waist and turned me around, I was now face to face with the love I was running away from. I didn't even want to look at his face, he must be so disappointed in me. So much time wasted on a selfish girl, and even now he took away the hand that was holding mine so he could lift my chin gently to meet my gaze. I didn't see what I expected though, he didn't look angry at all. He had the ghost of a smile on his face, the corners of his mouth just barely peeking up. His eyes told a thousand stories, but I couldn't even start to describe how beautifully sad he looked in the moment.

"I let you speak earlier, now it's my turn." His voice was rough, low and sad. Techno never cries, and the fear in his voice was the closest he got to doing so that i've ever seen. He looked into my eyes and spoke in a whisper, like if he spoke too loud I might just run away. "Remember the first thing I said to you after you kissed me for the first time?" I nodded just a little bit, the sweet memory could always bring a smile to my face and the tugging at the corners of my lips told me this was no exception. "I told you that you're out of my league. I looked at you and my first thought was that this girl was way too good for me. You're smart, funny, kind... what is it that makes you think you don't deserve me? Sure, you're going through a rough time but being around people who love you is how to fix that. I will never let you leave because you think you aren't good enough, I know i'm not the most affectionate but I really do care about you. I... i'm not great at romantic speeches or grand proclamations of love.. and I know I can't stop you if this is really what you want, but..." I looked into his hesitant eyes, he looked like he was making the most important decision of his life. I inhaled to speak, say something about who knows what, but all the thoughts melted from my brain as he pulled me in for the most incredible kiss of my life.

Techno never gave surprise kisses. I always had to either ask or kiss him first, so this was quite a surprise. I didn't react or kiss back at first, but he didn't pull away. His hands rested on my waist so I could run away if I really wanted to. The kiss was hesitant but unwavering, almost like a question. I took a deep breath before returning the kiss, letting the angelic moment wash all the bad thoughts from my head.

I eventually pulled my head back, but there was still worry in my eyes. "I bought a plane ticket, it leaves in less than an hour. I'm so sorry, what was I thinking?" Another tear rolled down my cheeks, and Techno immediately wiped it away before I got the chance. "I don't want to see any more tears, and I don't want you to worry about anything for the rest of the day, okay?" I nodded at him, a smile forming on my face. He pulled me to his chest for a hug. "What are we gonna do today? Nothing productive whatsoever." My face was mushed into his shirt, but I couldn't help but think of a few things I wanted to do.