Chapter 6 - Crystal

Ash and Goh turned around to Frank yelling at Espie, who had begun running right towards the two, determined to catch up to them. Ash bent down and grabbed Espie as she ran right into his arms, burying her face "Espie! Why would you run away from me?" She gave Frank a look of annoyance; she wanted him to give her space, so he backed off.

Espie looked back at Ash, a contempt and knowing gleam in her eyes. They began to glow a purple shade, filling up her entire eyes with the color. Ash's eyes began to reflect this shade, and his posture relaxed alongside this transition. Pikachu noticed and jumped off of his shoulder, visibly shocked by the sudden change.

"Ash!" said a worried Goh, putting his hands out to try to stop Espie. "Wait, Goh," Frank said, putting out his hand. "Don't worry, Espie won't hurt him." Goh was conflicted; he didn't know if he could trust whatever was currently happening, but somehow, he restrained himself and simply watched in awe.

As both individuals' eyes glowed, the ground started to shake slightly; it gradually grew in intensity, causing the others to lose their balance and fall to the ground. Just when it seemed like it would become a full-blown Earthquake, it suddenly stopped. Ash's eyes returned to normal; he gasped and fell to the ground, unaware of what just happened.

Espie's eyes also reverted to normal; she was still standing and was visibly clenching something that had formed in her hand. She hobbled over to Ash and put out her paw, presenting a rock that had just formed in her hand. Ash stared at it momentarily, recognizing it almost immediately.

"A Z-Crystal!" exclaimed Ash, peering at its rhombus shape. "But it doesn't look like one I've seen." Frank nodded, walking over to the two. "I wouldn't think you'd recognize it," he claimed, kneeling to stare at the crystal, still in Espie's paw. "It seems that Espie has managed to create this Z-Crystal."

Goh, who had just gotten off the ground and dusted his pants, looked up in shock. "She created a Z-Crystal? How is that even possible?" His question was also heavy in Ash's mind, who was under the impression that Z-Crystals could only be created by the legendary Pokemon of Alola.

The only Z-Crystal that Ash had seen that was different from the normal ones was when his Z-Crystal had transformed into an upgraded version of the Electrium Z. That one had a Pikachu-shaped tail on it and allowed the duo to use 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt. The one that currently sat in Espie's paw was in the shape of a thundercloud and had what looked like electric rain seeping through the clouds.

"Espie is from a generation of psychic-type Pokemon that create Z-Crystals," Frank answered, picking Espie up off the ground. "See, the truth is, I found Espie injured when I was younger in Alola on a business trip." He gently grabbed the Z-Crystal from Espie's grasp. "It seemed like someone had left it there for me to find, as there was a note explaining Espie's background."

Ash very briefly recollected when he found Nebby in the grove as Frank explained Espie's story, finding both encounters to be oddly similar. Frank held out his hand, offering the Z-Crystal to Ash. As he took it, Frank softly said, "Ash, be sure to keep that safe. We both have no idea how to use it." Ash nodded and held it in his hand; a small warm sensation radiated from its glassy outside.

"Espie has only done this once before, but it was a long time ago," Frank explained. "So make sure you understand how important it is." Ash nodded; he had been in a similar situation before when he received his first Z-Crystal from Tapu Koko. A fiery classmate of his had lectured him on the importance of using Z-Crystals and the tradition of completing Trials to properly use them.

Goh walked over and grabbed Ash's free hand, pulling him up. "Thanks for giving this to me, Espie," Ash said to Espie, who proudly meowed atop Frank's shoulder. "I'm just not sure what to use it for," he added, scratching the back of his head. Frank chuckled and nuzzled Espie's cheek with his finger.